Configuring AVAudioSession to allow "Hey Siri"

I'm building a recording app, and have built an App Shortcut that allows the user to start recording via Siri ("Hey Siri, start a recording").

This works well until the audio session is activated for the first time. After that, the device no longer listens to "Hey Siri".

I'd like to have the following behaviour:

• while the app is recording, the device should not listen to Siri
  • when the app is not recording, the device should listen to Siri

I've currently configured AVAudioSession this way:

try session.setCategory(.playAndRecord, options: [.defaultToSpeaker, .allowBluetoothA2DP, .allowAirPlay, .mixWithOthers])

I've tried switching the category back and forth between .playAndRecord and .playback when recording/not recording, but that didn't help either.

I'd also like to avoid changing the category or activating/deactivating the audio session, since it always takes a bit of time. When the audio session is configured and/or activated, the user experiences a "slow" record button: there's a noticeable delay between tapping the button and the device actually recording. When it is already configured, the record button starts recording instantly.

What impact does AVAudioSession have on Siri?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of thomastapeit Down vote post of thomastapeit