Help with deprecations from macOS 10.7 ICStart, ICGetPref and ICStop

Hi all !

I can't seem to find information on how to replace these deprecated functions:

ICStart ICGetPref ICStop

Is there an official guide on how to go through them?

Thank you!

Replies

Regarding the APIs you mentioned:

• ICStart and ICStop are just boilerplate. You don’t need a replacement.

• ICGetPref is the one that matters. However, the answer is likely to be different depending on what preference you’re reading. What is that?

ps The Internet Config API is one of the very few parts of macOS that I personally worked on, dating from a time before I joined Apple. Of course the original Component Manager based implementation is long gone, replaced by an Apple-authored one.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hi Quinn,

I'm calling ICGetPref to read the kICMapping preference, and getting crash reports from some customers running Sonoma. They don't see crashes if they log into their Macs as a guest, which makes me suspect that they have a corrupt user-specific preference. Can you suggest an alternative to ICGetPref and/or a way to reset the corrupt preference?

Thanks!

Jim Matthews Fetch Softworks

Can you suggest an alternative to ICGetPref

It kinda depends on what you’re doing with the mapping preference, but most use cases are served by the Uniform Type Identifiers framework.

and/or a way to reset the corrupt preference?

The last time I looked the IC implementation stored preferences in the com.apple.internetconfig domain of user defaults. However, I’m not sure if that’s true for the mapping preference; the implementation has special cases for a bunch of preferences that route through to other databases, and I’m not sure if that’s the case for kICMapping.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"