Xcode 14.2 no longer runs properly under rosetta after installing 14.3 beta

• Same here, I was almost a day trying to fix it but I couldn't find any solution

Add a Comment

Apple Recommended

• The tech note suggestion does not work on Swift Package Manager dependencies. It will still compile with arm64 simulator architecture.

• This "Apple Recommended" response does not apply to this particular issue. Raising as a comment here since multiple people have reported: installing Xcode 14.3 (beta or RC) may break Rosetta support in Xcode 14.2 and earlier on Ventura. Beware and read the rest of the comments below

• This is not helpful. Some of us due to reasons beyond our control have third-party dependencies that are not / cannot be updated, and suddenly have no way to run or test on the simulator, despite backing out of the 14.3 upgrade. Installing new app versions should never break the ability to install old versions.. This is clearly a bug.

Add a Comment

Replies

Xcode is no more supported under Rosetta.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-14_3-release-notes

That I know, as mentioned in my OP. That is not the issue though.

• The tech note suggestion does not work on Swift Package Manager dependencies. It will still compile with arm64 simulator architecture.

• This "Apple Recommended" response does not apply to this particular issue. Raising as a comment here since multiple people have reported: installing Xcode 14.3 (beta or RC) may break Rosetta support in Xcode 14.2 and earlier on Ventura. Beware and read the rest of the comments below

• This is not helpful. Some of us due to reasons beyond our control have third-party dependencies that are not / cannot be updated, and suddenly have no way to run or test on the simulator, despite backing out of the 14.3 upgrade. Installing new app versions should never break the ability to install old versions.. This is clearly a bug.

Add a Comment

Same here! After Installing XCode14.3beta (which does not support Rosetta), older Xcode-Version that do support Rosetta (e.g. Xcode 14.1, 14.2) do not work correctly anymore, even if the Activity Monitor says, that they are running in Rosetta-Mode ("Intel").

Deleting XCode14.3beta and redownloading XCode14.1/2 does not help either.

ERROR: ... building for iOS Simulator, but linking in object file built for iOS, file '/Users/***/ExternalLibs/Radaee/include/libRDPDFLibSDK.a' for architecture arm64

The error does not occur on other Macs with MacOS Ventura, as long as XCode14.3beta was not installed.

Configuration: MacBookPro, Chip: Apple M1 Pro, OS: MacOS Ventura 13.2.1, Xcode Version 14.1 or 14.2, Rosetta Checkbox activated

• Following the advice in Technote 3117 is applicable to all versions of Xcode to resolve your issue, not just Xcode 14.3.

• I am facing the same issue. The only solution would be to wipe the Mac I guess :( But, I dont know if it's true that the beta doesn't support Rosetta. it does have an option to build for a rosetta enabled simulator(Product -> Destination), and my app does run.

Add a Comment

Same here also!

The response above from apple doesn't address the issue: After installing Xcode 14.3 beta, Xcode 14.2 can no longer build apps using rosetta.

• Following the advice in Technote 3117 to resolve your issue is applicable to all versions of Xcode, not just Xcode 14.3.

Add a Comment

Same here, I was almost a day trying to fix it but I couldn't find any solution

I'm also experiencing this issue.

After installing Xcode 14.3 Beta 2 I cannot deploy/run my app to simulators using XCode 14.2, I encounter the same issues as OP.

"Fixing" the build issues may be a valid recourse in some cases, but I do not have the time to fix everything right now. I would expect the previous release version of Xcode (14.2) to function correctly as it did before installing Xcode 14.3 beta 2 but it is not.

Apple, please fix this!

I had to fresh install the macOS to fix this. I don’t know if the RC has any changes regarding that.

I have now found an option to compile with for Rosetta that works.

With Xcode 14.3 (RC 2) there is an option under Product - Destination - Destination Architectures -> Show Apple Silicon Destinations / Show Rosetta Destinations / Show Both

Selecting Rosetta or both destinations, you can choose a simulator with Rosetta and Xcode builds and works like previous versions under Rosetta, and I think in a better and faster way

Using Xcode 14.3 official release I was able to run under Rosetta. Open Xcode 14.3 -> Product -> Destination -> Destination Architectures -> Show Both -> Run simulator with Rosetta

• This work for me. Thanks so much!

• This is only an option if your dependencies and code compile under bleeding edge 14.3, which ours doesn't. It would appear running 14.2 now no longer runs under Rosetta.

Is there a workaround to launch (Rosetta) simulator from 14.3? and then somehow target running (Rosetta) simulator from Xcode 14.2 compiling your app? even this probably won't work, as it is reported that Xcode 14.2 even though is ticked to run under Rosetta, doesn't actually run under Rosetta.

Add a Comment

We're observing a similar problem. After installing Xcode 14.3 on a machine, project compilation using Xcode 14.2 on the same machine no longer respects the "Open using Rosetta" checkbox. Uninstalling 14.3 and/or reinstalling 14.2 doesn't help; something shared in the underlying toolchain appears to have changed.

Previously when opening Xcode 14.2 using Rosetta, Swift packages in our project were correctly built for x86_64; they're now compiled for arm64. My best guess is that something has gone wonky in how arch-related parameters are passed to CompileSwift.

I managed to fixed this problem by using Time Machine backup to restore some file locations, given that you did created a backup before upgrade to Xcode 14.3.

/Library/Developer

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist

~/Library/Developer

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.*

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode.*

I got the solution from https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35079270

You can fix this issue by running the following steps.

• Remove /Library/Developer
sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer
  • Download and install Xcode Command Line Tools for Xcode 14.2
https://download.developer.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Command_Line_Tools_for_Xcode_14.2/Command_Line_Tools_for_Xcode_14.2.dmg
  • Open Xcode 14.2 and let it install the renaming tools
  • Thanks a lot man!! Saved me tons of time!!!

• Thanks!

• my god man i spent two full days totally blocked tracking what was happening. thank you so much

life saver @fssilva 🫶

Hi @fssilva , works for me as well .thank you so much.

few things I need to add after 8 hours of stucking in the same loop.

don't go further without completing this step** "Open Xcode 14.2 and let it install the renaming tools**. " if you are not getting option to install remaining tools . this means you developer and command line tools are not reset and removed completely.