ManagedSettingsStore applicationCategories all() specifications

Within ManagedSettingsStore, in the documentation for the ShieldSettings.ActivityCategoryPolicy enum (here), one of the options is all(). It states that if this is used, the device will shield "all apps and websites".

In practice, I have noticed that when this is used, a handful of apps (i.e. Messages, Maps) remain unblocked. Furthermore, it appears that on different devices, this usage results in different apps remaining unblocked (on my device Messages remained unblocked, but on another tester's device Messages was blocked).

Can anyone provide clarification as to explicitly which apps are not included in the specification of "all()" and whether this changes based on device, iOS version, etc.?

Accepted Reply

Yes, there are certain "unblock-able" system apps when using the .all option. This includes any apps in the user's "Always Allowed" list in Settings > Screen Time > Always Allowed.

• Thank you so much, this helps clarify a lot! It appears as though if screentime is disabled, then Phone is the only "allowable" app; if screentime is enabled, however, it appears that Phone, Messages, FaceTime, and Maps are "allowable" by default. Are you able to confirm this, or does it vary by user / device?

Add a Comment

Replies

Yes, there are certain "unblock-able" system apps when using the .all option. This includes any apps in the user's "Always Allowed" list in Settings > Screen Time > Always Allowed.

• Thank you so much, this helps clarify a lot! It appears as though if screentime is disabled, then Phone is the only "allowable" app; if screentime is enabled, however, it appears that Phone, Messages, FaceTime, and Maps are "allowable" by default. Are you able to confirm this, or does it vary by user / device?

Add a Comment

Thank you so much, this helps clarify a lot! It appears as though if screentime is disabled, then Phone is the only "allowable" app; if screentime is enabled, however, it appears that Phone, Messages, FaceTime, and Maps are "allowable" by default. Are you able to confirm this, or does it vary by user / device?