Xcode 14.3 - Failed to render and update auto layout status

Since updating to Xcode 14.3 every view controller in every storyboard is not updating its IBDesignable's with an error saying it can't find the right .app with the right architecture. This all worked fine in Xcode 14.2

I'm running on an M1 mac mini

Error below:

/Users/****/Documents/Projects/****/****/Modules/Onboarding/Base.lproj/Onboarding.storyboard Failed to render and update auto layout status for ****ViewController (3EC-3V-hGn): dlopen(****.app, 0x0001): tried: '/****' (no such file), '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot****.app' (no such file), '****.app' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64'))

I've tried following a stackoverflow post that suggested changing "Build Active Architecture Only" to "No" for debug builds. When I rebuilt I got a prompt from Xcode saying the build failed, and it asked me to turn on Rosetta to try again. I didn't try this as it seemed like this is broken, given it works fine on 14.2

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of simonmcl Down vote post of simonmcl
2.5k views
  • Following posts online I tried setting "Build Active Architecture Only" to "No" for debug builds, AND adding "macOS" to the "Supported Platforms" for debug. This is throwing an error that a swift package i'm writing/using (set to iOS 15 and mac 11), that it can't find the module for target 'x86_64-apple-ios-simulator'; found: arm64-apple-ios-simulator. Telling me to add missing architecture. Can't find anything online with instructions on what it is i'm supposed to do

Add a Comment

Replies

Same issue!!!

• Haven't found a work around yet, just filed FB12098785 about it. Are you also getting this annoying issue of constant error along the top of a storyboard saying "An internal error occurred. Editing functionality may be limited."? Driving me insane! I just reported that too: FB12098768. If you haven't please report one or both as well. More people that do, faster it will be fixed

Add a Comment

Same issue. All IBDesignables are completely broken unless you build for iOS16.

"/Users/moh/Developer/Temp Dev/IB_Broken/IB_Broken/Base.lproj/Main.storyboard Failed to render and update auto layout status for ViewController (BYZ-38-t0r): dlopen(IB_Broken.app, 0x0001): tried: '/IB_Broken' (no such file), '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRootIB_Broken.app' (no such file), 'IB_Broken.app' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64'))"

Having the same issues as above, running an M1 MacBook Pro with Xcode 14.3.1

I just checked on Xcode 14.3.1 (14E300c), and the error persists, though if I set the deployment target to 16.4, it works. In my case, other 16 versions failed, but it was tedious to clean, close, build, etc, so I'm slightly less confident, but after working on 16.4, it would definitely fail on 16.0. So ¯_(ツ)_/¯

M1 Pro laptop.

I have filed FB12223685

Add a Comment

It seems that Xcode Version 15.0 beta 2 (15A5161b) fixes the problem for me. both for my demo app, which has no modules, as well as my production app which had files in different modules. I had to clean, clear derived data, etc. but it was successful!