iOS 16.4: Siri Shortcut works within Shortcuts app, but not when activated by voice

My app has a Siri Shortcut with a single parameter that Siri asks for each time the shortcut is run (built using an intentdefinition file).

The shortcut works fine when I execute it from the Shortcuts app on my phone, but beginning with iOS 16.4, when I activate it by voice, Siri prompts me for the parameter and after I respond Siri says: "Sorry, could you say that again?". If I repeat the input, it just does a web search.

This issue has been reported to us by several users. I was able to reproduce the issue with the build of our app from the App Store (built with Xcode 14.2) and with a local build of the app created with Xcode 14.3.

When I run the intent in the debugger, the resolution method for the parameter gets called with an empty array for the parameter and we return [INStringResolutionResult needsValue]. Then Siri asks for the input and after I respond, Siri says "Sorry, could you say that again?"and the line Program ended with exit code: 15 is printed in the console.

Is anyone else running into this? Is there anything else I can do to debug this?

Replies

This appears to be a Siri Shortcuts bug with String parameters that accept multiple values, as I was able to reproduce the issue by modifying the toppings parameter in the SoupChef sample app to be a String parameter and unchecking "Options are provided dynamically". I've filed this issue as FB12150054, as it still occurs on iOS 16.5 beta 3.