FamilyActivityPicker crashing when expanding "Other" category

Hi there, I'm presenting a FamilyActivityPicker inside of a sheet, and on some phones, the FamilyActivityPicker freezes and crashes when the user expands the "Other" category only. "Other" is the only category that exhibits this behavior, and it only does this on some phones, not in all cases.

This issue is perfectly reproducible on those phones when using the FamilyActivityPicker for the "other" category only, but on those same phones it does not reproducible in the Native ScreenTime Picker in Settings → ScreenTime → App Limits → Add Limit. I don't have access to these phones as they are user reports, but any guidance here would be deeply appreciated.

More broadly, there are several issues with the FamilyActivityPicker (categories expand on top of each other when multiple are opened, varying behavior with tapping rows vs tapping select bubbles depending on phone size, etc) that the Native ScreenTime Picker doesn't have. Grouping websites as a standalone category is preferable as well. Could we as developers just have access to that one?

Replies

Hey !

Our users report similar issues, it's even happening on different categories like "Productivity and Finance", or with particular search in the picker.

We opened a bug report for it in august, If you could do the same it would probably help to get more visibility on if from Apple ! You can reference the FB11400221 bug report ID.

100 % agree that the picker in the screentime settings is better !

Don't know if you noticed but the developer accessible one got a search bar since iOS 16.4, and we got several radar fixed as well, so things are moving !

• thanks _lipit, appreciate the context. I've seen bug reports linked in this format (FBXXXXXXX) in several screen time support threads but have never been able to view them myself (clicking them renders "feedback not found"). Just confirming that the workflow you're suggesting is filing a new bug report describing the behavior I see and linking your existing one? thanks

• separately - do you have a good method of subscribing or being otherwise notified about developments in the screen time API? beyond manually checking https://developer.apple.com/forums/tags/screen-time do you have a good method of staying up to date on the latest and information and/or sharing on information with other developers that have production builds using the API?

• Yay unfortunately you cannot share bug reports content to other devs, only apple can see them all, but I think it's useful referencing them anyway. Yay you got it right, filling reports, even if they are similar would increase the probably they are fixed. To give you a bit of context on that bug, I've got an answer from Apple in September saying they couldn't see in the logs I've sent what the issue was.

Honestly I'm using the same method you mentioned to stay up to date, also taking a look at API diffs when new sdk versions are published, and testing beta iOS versions as well when they go out.