Help on how to read files names from a directory

I need to read the files names into the DiagnosticReports directory, I've tried a some examples from StackOverflow, including below, but I simply cant make it to work:

// Create a FileManager instance

let fileManager = FileManager.default
    let documentsURL = fileManager.urls(for: .libraryDirectory,
        in: .userDomainMask)[0]
    do {
        let fileUrls = try fileManager.contentsOfDirectory(at:documentsURL, includingPropertiesForKeys: nil)
        // process files
        print(fileUrls)
    } catch {
        print("Error while enumerating files \(documentsURL.path): \(error.localizedDescription)")
    }

}

listDir(dir: "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports")

That was the most successful one I got, any other simply won't show anything.

Replies

There’s something wonky about the code you’re showing. You seem to be calling a function, listDir(dir:), but you’re not showing the definition of that function.

Regardless, you won’t be able to achieve your goal. Swift Playgrounds runs your app is a sandbox and that sandbox prevents access to most stuff on the user’s hard disk. Consider this snippet:

import Foundation

let libDir = try fileManager.url(for: .libraryDirectory, in: .userDomainMask, appropriateFor: nil, create: true)
print(libDir.path)

It prints:

/Users/quinn/Library/Containers/com.apple.PlaygroundsMac.ExecutionExtension/Data/Library

which is the library directory associated with your sandbox.

Now consider this:

import Foundation

let realLibDir = URL(fileURLWithPath: "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports")
do {
    let contents = try fileManager.contentsOfDirectory(at: realLibDir, includingPropertiesForKeys: nil)
    print(contents)
} catch {
    print(error)
}

It fails with:

Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 "The file “DiagnosticReports” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it." UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, NSFilePath=/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fa5007833c0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}

Error 1 is EPERM, which is the sandbox preventing you from accessing stuff outside of your container.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Yeah, I ate the 1st line:

func listDir(dir: String) {

}

And I use to try some functions firstly in Playground before apply into the code. I will make a small test program to do that and let you know, thanks again.

And I use to try some functions firstly in Playground before apply into the code.

Yeah, I do the same. However, I use an Xcode playground for this, created using File > New > Playground > macOS > Blank. Those are not sandboxed and so my code snippet above works just fine there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"