Using Screen Time API for Creating a Parental Control App without Family Sharing

Hello Apple Developer Community,

I am currently exploring the Screen Time API and its potential for creating a parental control-style application. However, I have a slightly different use case in mind that I need some guidance on.

I am wondering if it is possible to use the Screen Time API to create a monitoring application for a consenting adult, instead of the traditional parent-child scenario provided by the Family Sharing setup. For example, if a friend of mine wants to apply an internet filter on their iPhone and have me monitor it, can I create an app to do so?

To elaborate, I'm envisioning a setup similar to how the 'Find My Friends' app allows us to locate our friends (who are not necessarily a part of our family) after obtaining their consent. Is it possible to leverage the capabilities of the Screen Time API to create a 'monitoring' app on my device that can track and control aspects of my friend's device usage without having to engage the Family Sharing and Family Controls frameworks?

I understand that privacy and consent are paramount in such a situation, but this is a scenario between two consenting adults. This is purely for the purpose of assisting my friend in managing their digital habits more effectively.

I appreciate any insights or advice that the community can provide on this topic.

Thank you in advance!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eninkio Down vote post of eninkio

Replies

It is possible via individual auth.

However, it currently have a huge problem where it can be disabled easily. and I don't know how long it will take Apple to fix that.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/727291