Screentime API Application Tokens

Hi, I'm new to the developer community and am developing an app for a school project that relies on the screentime API. I'm using SwiftUI to generate Labels using the given ApplicationToken generated from my FamilyActivitySelection. However, I notice that the icon for these tokens is extremely small: only about 25x25 px.

I'm wondering if there is a way that the screentime API can let us use higher-res images using the opaque tokens?

This would be extremely useful in developing a more HIG-aligned app (e.g. a scroll-view of blocked apps).

Thank you!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of ds2606 Down vote post of ds2606

Replies

Hey, as far as I know, there's no way to improve the quality of icons linked to these activity labels. If you're looking to adjust the size, the most effective approach would be to apply a scale effect to the label. It will become blurry pretty quickly though.

Thanks for your response @thomas_maht, I appreciate it. I've already been using a scaleFactor, but like you say, blurriness becomes a UI issue quickly.

I'd like to suggest to the team (if they monitor the managed settings/family controls forum posts at all), including @Christopher, @Nolan, and @MaryAshely, that there are a couple of easy wins for screentime for devs here:

1. Offer access to slightly higher-res token values
  2. Improve the 1FamilyActivityPicker` UI: Users should not have to work so hard to find they app they want to select. Apps in the picker should be at least either linearized alphabetically, or ideally searchable with a top search bar. Apps currently seem arbitrarily binned into categories and it's unneeded work right now to find the app you're looking for.

Apologies – I see now that 2. is already implemented (searchable apps). Higher res icon tokens would still be great for devs though :-)

100% agree with you! Adding the possibility to customise the font for a FamilyControls's Label would also be really cool. Don't hesitate to file enhancement requests using Feedback Assistant. The more people ask, the faster it can be taken into account (hopefully).