Granularity/Accuracy of delivered locations with live updates

First of all :

Thanks for the great presentation (wwdc2023-10180), Siraj !

This new, simple API looks like what we've been looking for for easy manageable background location updates with 'automatic battery drain minimization' :-)

There were two questions that came to my mind. As far as I understood, the CLLocationUpdate.LiveConfiguration is used to help the location services to improve the location fixes.

1. Are there other options planned to specify the granularity of delivered locations e.g., how accurate the locations need to be (as the desiredAccuracy and distanceFilter settings for the olden CLLocationManager)?

2. Does the Implementation switch between significant location changes and regular, more expensive ways (like GPS hardware) or just deliver the most feasible accuracy available at the time of notification?

I'm just curious - if I get the most feasible granularity, everything is fine for me anyway :-)

Thanks again, Michael

Replies

I'm also really interested in this. In my app, I want to make sure locations I receive are coming from a GPS and not from Wi-Fi/Cell towers. I used to specify a desiredAccuracy to kCLLocationAccuracyBest or kCLLocationAccuracyNearestTenMeters. How can I do that again with this new API? Is that even possible? Thanks!