macos sonoma - unable to change time zone

hi, everyone!

i travelled to a different time zone and the time has not updated to my new location. i seem to remember this worked ok before sonoma.

system settings - privacy & security - location services - system services - details - setting time zone ON (if this is changed to off it does not stay off, if i leave that window pressing done, when i open that setting again it is still set to on, so changing it has no effect)

system settings - general - date & time all set to ON (if Set time zone automatically using your current location is set to off the the Time zone stays greyed out and cannot be changed and only the Closest city can be changed, which is of no use as cities to select from are still not in the time zone i want to change to).

this is probably a bug in the new macos sonoma and just wanted to make this known and hopefully have a solution to it.

thank you!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of sorincx Down vote post of sorincx
4k views
  • must be some issue with the location. maps app wouldn't show my current location even though it is also set to on.

Add a Comment

Replies

You can open the terminal and type: sudo systemsetup -settimezone America/Denver and just change Denver to were ever you are. This should get you by until it's fixed.

• @sorincx I am having the exact same issue. Also it seems like file permissions are really messed up. Homebrew does work nor does git due to file permissions. There seems to be some automate audit system that reverts any changes that I make.

• also running @rollshifter command I get the following error

2023-09-27 00:19:31.486 systemsetup[19379:511646] ### Error:-99 File:/AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/98ed8ad3-3356-11ee-9b53-aead88ae2785/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Admin/InternetServices.m Line:379

• same here: 2023-10-02 18:38:31.785 systemsetup[22993:1647893] ### Error:-99 File:/AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/2f2cd822-4d3c-11ee-b057-aead88ae2785/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Admin/InternetServices.m Line:379 Set TimeZone: Asia/Taipei

Add a Comment

I get the same issue while running command: error 2023-09-27 00:19:31.486 systemsetup[19379:511646] ### Error:-99 File:/AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/98ed8ad3-3356-11ee-9b53-aead88ae2785/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Admin/InternetServices.m Line:379

I have the same issue here. I updated to the new MacOS and it does not recognize daylight saving time in Chile in the different apps like Google Chrome, Slack, etc.

• Hey maxvaldes! I think that the issue you're experiencing is related to this bug https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1487920 (i have the same problem too)

Add a Comment

To fix the timezone issue in Slack, you can run Slack from the command line (every time you want to use it), as follows: codesign -dr - /Applications/Slack.app && TZ=Australia/Sydney open -b com.tinyspeck.slackmacgap

Replace Australia/Sydney with your timezone though. 😀

• Hi Benst, Your suggestion worked but when I restarted the Macbook it reverted back to the wrong time zone. Any suggestion to keep it constant?

Thanks Jeff

• Sorry @JeffOgury , no idea how. I actually downgraded to Ventura due to this.

Add a Comment

There is a time bug with Sonoma, I live in Australia, NSW and we just started daylight savings. Safari and Mac time is ok, but slack, Firefox, and chrome all show the wrong time. (Time without daylight savings).

• i have the same problem :(

• I live in Australia, VIC and I have the exact same problem

Add a Comment

To me it happened from one moment to the other. My Mac has forgotten all timezones i.e. "sudo systemsetup listtimezones" returns an empty list, the default timezone is GMT and my mac thinks I am in Cupertino,CA. Timezone in Preferences shows as "Unknown".

I wouldn't care but it's messing up all my Outlook appointments as well as single-sign-ons (e.g. can't login to web ms teams anymore).

I had the same problem and managed to fix it - over at apple.stackexchange is a great thread and a description how I fixed it https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/468997/102293

sudo systemsetup -settimezone "Asia/Taipei"

work for me

I know this sounds super simple but, assuming I understood your issue as the same as my issue- my mac would not allow me to change the time zone- for example some parts of my country turned off daylights savings, and other parts did not, and it had me in the 'wrong' part- even when I would change it, it would jump back- both if I set it to 'set time and date automatically' or not.... In short- I discovered that - if I choose my correct location 'closest city' through the drop down menu, the problem occurs, as described above. BUT, if I type in my city, at least a few letters, and then hit 'enter', then it DOES save my correct 'closest city', which does have the daylight savings correct...and then even when I click on the 'set time...auto.' it keeps my time zone etc etc hope this helps someone nb