Registering simulator runtime with CoreSimulator failed. when Downloading and Installing VisionOS Simulator from XCode-beta

Registering simulator runtime with CoreSimulator failed. Domain: DVTDownloadableErrorDomain Code: 29 User Info: { DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2023-06-22 17:40:21 +0000"; }

The service used to manage runtime disk images (simdiskimaged) crashed or is not responding Domain: com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimError Code: 410

System Information

macOS Version 13.4.1 (Build 22F82) Xcode 15.0 (22181.22) (Build 15A5161b) Timestamp: 2023-06-22T12:40:21-05:00

How to Recreate:

1. Download XCode-beta
  2. Create VisionProApp
  3. Click <GET> on top where it says visionOS not installed
  4. Wait for it to download
  5. Get above error

Hope someone can help!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of galaxer Down vote post of galaxer
15k views

Replies

Jory did most of the work, but I think we got it figured out here:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/732324?page=1#756868022

I had to clear up a lot of disk space (many GBs) for the "registration" to complete. As usual, Apple isn't doing basic error checking/reporting.

I have exactly the same problem with me. I have repeated the steps in the answers several times. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, which is probably a matter of my knowledge. The following worked for me with both visionOS and IOS 17:

VisionOS:

1. Open the VisionOS dmg file
  2. Go to: Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles. You should now have a folder called "Runtimes" with the .simruntime file in it.
  3. Move this "Runtimes" folder with the .simruntime file to the "Profiles" folder according to the following instructions: right click on Xcode-Beta/"Show Package Contents"/Contents/Developer/Platforms/XROS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator /Profiles.
  4. Now the simulator is in the Systeme and can be opened (see below)

iOS 17 Beta:

1. Open the dmg file of IOS 17 beta
  2. Go to: Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles. You should now have a folder called "Runtimes" with the .simruntime file in it.
  3. Move the "Runtimes" folder with the .simruntime file to the "Profiles" folder using the following instructions: right click on Xcode-Beta/"Show Package Contents"/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator /Profiles.
  4. Now the simulator is in the system and can be opened (see below)

Opening the simulators:

Go to Window/Devices and Simulators (shift/comand/2) Go to Simulators Select the desired simulator.

I hope it could help

Just checked and it turns out that this is indeed caused by not having enough disk space, not an issue with actual registration. Just freeing up a couple dozen GBs fixed it for me, most of which were just old simulators for versions I didn't really need anymore.

• Indeed space is the issue after 7 tries.

Add a Comment

The error message "Registering simulator runtime with CoreSimulator failed" encountered during the download of the iOS 17.0 SDK in Xcode 15.0 is typically attributed to insufficient available disk space. In order to successfully complete the download and registration process, it is necessary to have approximately 40 GB of free storage space at your disposal. Although the actual installation of the SDK consumes an estimated 9 to 12 GB of storage, a preliminary requirement of around 40 GB of free storage is imposed prior to initiating the installation process. Ensuring that this requisite disk space is available before proceeding will likely resolve the encountered issue.

Some tricks to avoid some disk space cleaning :

When this error happens, dmgs are kept in /Library/Developper/CoreSimulator/Cryptex/Images/Inbox/{UUID}.dmg I had several 7GB files like this, so you can just keep one.

Then here is one way for manual install :

Stop XCode

sudo mv /Library/Developper/CoreSimulator/Cryptex/Images/Inbox/{UUID}.dmg ~
sudo chown $USER:staff ~/{UUID}.dmg
open ~/{UUID}.dmg
# manual copy "/Volumes/iOS 17.0 21A328 Simulator"
sudo cp -a "/Volumes/iOS * Simulator/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles" /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/

Make sure you end up with "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 17.0.simruntimes/"...

You will see the iOS env works when you start XCode again.

• This worked for me. I'm thinking that the automated process fails NOT when there is insufficent disk space, but when File System Services sends the warning that disk space is low. I had 71GB free, but also had the low disk space warning in the filesystem.

Also, thank you for indicating where these files were. I had attempted the automatic process several times... I had quite a few 7GB DMGs in this folder, all identical, but with different UUIDs.

• @jperih Can you please explain how File system service sends the warning without having enough space. I am just curious here. Sorry not an IOS developer but working with React native.

• @fredg.the.countrymen Hey thank you so much!!! I was not having exact problem that you have mentioned, but it helped me to find Devices folder in CoreSimulator folder which was main culprit for me. I had deleted all the unnecessary space but still was not able to manage to get more space. The reason was IOS storage setting is not showing me space occupied by this simulator devices even If we delete whole Xcode it will not remove those simulator devices. But thanks again your comment helped me.

Add a Comment