Identifying a Cloud Managed Signing Certificate

This thread has been locked by a moderator.

Recently I’ve been playing around with Xcode Cloud, with a focus on learning more about its cloud siging feature. One question that came up is how to distinguish a cloud signing certificate from a standard one. In Certificates, Identifiers, and Profiles this is easy: Cloud signing certificates have a Managed suffix. But what about in a built binary?

After a bit of digging, I discovered that a cloud signing certificate has a special OID that identifies it as such. Consider:

% codesign -d --extract-certificates CloudSigningTest.app
…
% mv codesign0 codesign0.cer
% dumpasn1 -a -p codesign0.cer
SEQUENCE {
  SEQUENCE {
    …
    [3] {
      SEQUENCE {
        …
        SEQUENCE {
          OBJECT IDENTIFIER '1 2 840 113635 100 6 1 32'
          OCTET STRING, encapsulates {
            NULL
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  …
  }

This is actually documented on the Apple PKI page, in Certification Practice Statement > Developer ID > 2.2 Community and Applicability, which says:

Cloud Managed certificates include an additional non- critical custom extension OID 1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.32 to indicate they are Cloud managed.

So, there you go!

And yes, I realise that it’s possible that the only person who’ll ever need to reference this post is Future Quinn™, but I’m OK with that (-:

If you have questions or comments, start a new thread here on DevForums and tag it with Signing Certificates so that I see it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Up vote post of eskimo