RealityKit Object Masking / Providing Depth Map for Effects - Use Case Feature Request

In regular Metal, I can do all sorts of tricks with texture masking to create composite objects and effects, similar to CSG. Since for now, AR-mode in visionOS requires RealityKit without the ability to use custom shaders, I'm a bit stuck. I'm pretty sure so far that what I want is impossible and requires a feature request, but here it goes:

Here's a 2D example:

Say I have some fake circular flashlights shining into the scene, depthwise, and everything else is black except for some rectangles that are "lit" by the circles.

The result:

How it works: In Metal, my per-instance data contain a texture index for a mask texture. The mask texture has an alpha of 0 for spots where the instance should not be visible, and an alpha of 1 otherwise. So in an initial renderpass, I draw the circular lights to this mask texture. In pass 2, I attach the fullscreen mask texture (circular lights) to all mesh instances that I want hidden in the darkness. A custom fragment shader multiplies the alpha of the full-screen mask texture sample at the given fragment with the color that would otherwise be output. i.e. out_color *= mask.a. The way I have blending and clear colors set-up, wherever the mask alpha is 0, an object will be hidden. The background clear color is black. The following is how the scene looks if I don't attach the masking texture. You can see that behind the scenes, the full rectangle is there.

In visionOS AR-mode, the point is for the system to apply lighting, depth, and occlusion information to the world.

For my effect to work, I need to be able to generate an intermediate representation of my world (after pass 2) that shows some of that world in darkness.

I know I can use Metal separately from RealityKit to prepare a texture to apply to a RealityKit mesh using DrawableQueue However, as far as I know there is no way to supply a full-screen depth buffer for RealityKit to mix with whatever it's doing with the AR passthrough depth and occlusion behind the scenes. So my Metal texture would just be a flat quad in the scene rather than something mixed with the world. Furthermore, I don't see a way to apply a full-screen quad to the scene, period.

I think my use case is impossible in visionOS in AR mode without customizable rendering in Metal (separate issue: I still think in single full app mode, it should be possible to grant access to the camera and custom rendering more securely) and/or a RealityKit feature enabling mixing of depth and occlusion textures for compositing.

I love these sorts of masking/texture effects because they're simple and elegant to pull-off, and I can imagine creating several useful and fun experiences using this masking and custom depth info with AR passthrough.

Please advise on how I could achieve this effect in the meantime. However, I'll go ahead and say a specific feature request is the ability to provide full-screen depth and occlusion textures to RealityKit so it's easier to mix Metal rendering as a pre-pass with RealityKit as a final composition step.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of KTRosenberg Down vote post of KTRosenberg