Game porting toolkit build error

I followed the instruction from this page

https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Game_Porting_Toolkit#Game_compatibility_list

to install the toolkit. Everything worked fine until I ran the command brew -v install apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit. It threw the following error:

Error: apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit 1.0 did not build
Logs:
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/00.options.out
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/wine64-build
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure.cc
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/02.make.cc
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/02.make
Do not report this issue to Homebrew/brew or Homebrew/homebrew-core!

Error: You are using macOS 14.
We do not provide support for this pre-release version.
It is expected behaviour that some formulae will fail to build in this pre-release version.
It is expected behaviour that Homebrew will be buggy and slow.
Do not create any issues about this on Homebrew's GitHub repositories.
Do not create any issues even if you think this message is unrelated.
Any opened issues will be immediately closed without response.
Do not ask for help from Homebrew or its maintainers on social media.
You may ask for help in Homebrew's discussions but are unlikely to receive a response.
Try to figure out the problem yourself and submit a fix as a pull request.
We will review it but may or may not accept it.

Did anyone have the same issue and found a fix for it?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of billzhou Down vote post of billzhou
22k views
  • I have this error:

Error: No available formula with the name "game-porting-toolkit". zsh: no such file or directory: /bin/wine64

I can't find a way to solve

Add a Comment

Replies

At least in my case I think it's because of malware since Avast antivirus detects it and deletes it but it may also be that the most recent GitHub file is not being used and that the command believes that it is the most recent but I have no idea the same error happens to me and I still can't solve it but I think it may be one of those things that causes

I am having the exact same issue. I have no idea what is happening. Initially I thought it was because of the new version of game porting toolkit, but you were using the original version, so I don't think that is the issue. Let me know if you find a solution.

Same issue here. Can't get the toolkit installed. Using latest 1.0.2 version:

Error: apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit 1.0.2 did not build
Logs:
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/00.options.out
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/wine64-build
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure.cc
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/02.make.cc
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure
     /Users/user_name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/02.make

It is expected behaviour that some formulae will fail to build in this pre-release version.
You may ask for help in Homebrew's discussions but are unlikely to receive a response.

Same here. If you scroll a few screens upwards in the log outputs, you see the/one reason:

_
ld: unknown options: -segaddr 
clang-8: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [loader/wine64-preloader] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs...._

and further up...

_-macosx_version_min has been renamed to -macos_version_min
ld: warning: ignoring duplicate library '-lSystem'
-macosx_version_min has been renamed to -macos_version_min
ld: warning: ignoring duplicate library '-lSystem'_

so anyone with a clue of how to work around this - pls. post your hints...

Seeing exact same issue here as well on M1 Max using Ventura 13.4.1, trying to install update 1.0.2.

I have files a bug report using the official link they give inside the toolkit at http://feedbackssistnt.apple.com as it actually has an entry for the game porting toolkit. However, I don’t know if that will get any faster response on the issue. There doesn’t seem to be defacto standard way in uninstalling the toolkit however I game it a try by removing brew, and the searching for anything with game porting toolkit related files and directories, being careful,to avoid removing any brew stuff related to the default install with the os.

after spending 2 full days on trying to fix this, I guess I’m in a holding pattern with everyone else until teh fix or new version comes out that rememwdies this. In the meantime, zero m1 gaming.

• Part of your issue is that you are attempting this on Ventura and the instructions clearly indicate that MacOS 14 Sonoma beta and this is actually the first requirement listed in the readme for the game porting toolkit "• The Game Porting Toolkit currently only runs on Apple Silicon Macs running macOS 14 Sonoma Beta." If you want to test the game porting toolkit please update to the MacOS 14 Sonoma Beta and then report your findings otherwise its pointless to post.

• I'm running on an M3 Max Pro laptop with 14.3.1 (23D60) and I'm seeing this same issue.

Add a Comment

I'm having the exact same issue on a fresh install of Sonoma Beta3 with Command Line Tools for Xcode 15Beta3 ...

Tap: apple/apple
Path: /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/apple/homebrew-apple/Formula/game-porting-toolkit.rb
==> Configuration
HOMEBREW_VERSION: 4.0.28
ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew
HEAD: 2b4cfb033757b63ab0b128d01c58db76480956f9
Last commit: 2 days ago
Core tap JSON: 08 Jul 01:36 UTC
HOMEBREW_PREFIX: /usr/local
HOMEBREW_CASK_OPTS: []
HOMEBREW_MAKE_JOBS: 8
Homebrew Ruby: 2.6.10 => /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby
CPU: octa-core 64-bit westmere
Clang: 15.0.0 build 1500
Git: 2.39.2 => /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/git
Curl: 8.1.2 => /usr/bin/curl
macOS: 14.0-x86_64
CLT: 15.0.0.0.1.1688363443
Xcode: 15.0 => /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer
Rosetta 2: true

Any help would be welcome!

• Same. Sonoma Beta3 with Command Line Tools for Xcode 15Beta3.

Apple Silicon

clang --version Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.34.3) Target: arm64-apple-darwin23.0.0 Thread model: posix InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

#For Intel Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.34.3) Target: x86_64-apple-darwin23.0.0 Thread model: posix InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin zsh: number expected commands not found: Target, Thread, InstalledDir

Add a Comment

Same here. macOS 14 beta3 with GPT 1.0.2.
Running the command brew -v install apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit, and encountered the error below.

/usr/local/opt/game-porting-toolkit-compiler/bin/clang -m64 -o loader/wine64-preloader loader/preloader.o loader/preloader_mac.o -Wl,-no_pie -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 \
  -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs -e _start -ldylib1.o \
  -Wl,-image_base,0x7d400000,-segalign,0x1000,-pagezero_size,0x1000,-sectcreate,__TEXT,__info_plist,loader/wine_info.plist,-segaddr,WINE_4GB_RESERVE,0x100000000 \
  -L/usr/local/opt/zlib/lib -L/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib -L/usr/local/opt/sdl2/lib -L/usr/local/opt/libgphoto2/lib -L/usr/local/opt/faudio/lib -L/usr/local/opt/jpeg/lib -L/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib -L/usr/local/opt/mpg123/lib -L/usr/local/opt/libtiff/lib -L/usr/local/opt/libgsm/lib -L/usr/local/opt/glib/lib -L/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib -L/usr/local/opt/libusb/lib -L/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib -L/usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1/lib -L/usr/local/opt/sane-backends/lib -lSystem -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,@executable_path/../lib/external
ld: unknown options: -segaddr 
clang-8: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [loader/wine64-preloader] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Error: apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit 1.0.2 did not build
Logs:
     /Users/kevin/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/00.options.out
     /Users/kevin/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/wine64-build
     /Users/kevin/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure.cc
     /Users/kevin/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/02.make.cc
     /Users/kevin/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure
     /Users/kevin/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/02.make
  • I had same issue on my Macbook Pro m1 pro 16GB 16"(macOS Sonoma 14.0 Beta)

Previously try to install GPT with this dependencies:

XCode 15 beta 4Comman Line Tools beta 4 for XCode

Then i completely remove Command Line tools from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Reboot.

Install:

Xcode 15 beta 2Comand Line Tools beta 2 for XCode

Then building of brew -v install apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit has completed successfully for me.

Add a Comment

I'm having the same issue...

Try downgrading to Xcode Beta 2, install it, reboot, and start installation process again under proper shell.

• How do you downgrade ? I can'T instal Xcode beta it said it's ''included in my MacOS'', and I am not sure where to delete ? And what do you mean by ''under proper shell'' ?

• $ sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools to uninstall the Command Line tools. Then install the Beta 2 version instead.

Add a Comment

I encountered the same error "apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit 1.0.2 did not build" while attempting to build it using the guide provided by applegamingwiki for the apple porting toolkit. However, I managed to resolve the issue by following these steps:

1. Delete the appstore Xcode and beta 3 Xcode.
  2. Uninstall the beta 3 Xcode command line tools.
  3. Install beta 2 Xcode along with the corresponding command line tools.
  4. Remember to restart your system after completing the installation.

By following these steps, I was able to successfully overcome the error and proceed with the build process.

• Just

Download Beta 2 Xcode command line tools and install ittry "brew -v install apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit" again.

I had the same problem and this solved the issue. I guess they only have it for beta 2 for now. Good luck.

• How do you do that ? I can't seem to change it, nor do I know how do remove Beta 4 Xcode from the Mac. I tried under Ventura and on the new beta one and same error each time.

• $ sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools to uninstall the Command Line tools. Then install the Beta 2 version instead.

Anyone tested the newer Xcode Beta 4 for compiling/installing the game porting kit? Still as buggy as Beta 3 in that regard or does that work now?

• Tried to compile using beta 4 today - same issue

• Same as Beta 3

• I can confirm that as of July 19, 2023 that even using Beta 4 of Xcode its still not working which is unfortunate

Add a Comment

Still seems to be broken on Xcode/tools beta 4.

• Yup, confirmed still broken.

• it isn't broken. it is something failed on brew with arm64_86. I'm installing now.

Add a Comment

'Command Line Tools for Xcode 15 beta 4' has the same issue. Downgrading to Beta 2 circumvents the errors installing version 1.0.2. I'm on Sonoma 14.0 beta 3 update/build 23A5286i July 11th public beta release.

I found the problem. we need serious update in brew with arm64_86.zsh.

• What did you update to resolve the issue?

• The fact that it's been 4 days and lehcimnivek is the only one who claims that they found the problem and managed to get it installed I'm inclined to believe that they are a troll. Please post the fix if you actually found it and don't be getting our hopes up by trolling if you didn't actually find the fix.

Add a Comment

Downgrading to Beta 2 did not help for me. Running Sonoma 14.0 on a M1 Max w/ 64GB RAM. Here is the error message :

Error: apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit-compiler 0.1 did not build
Logs:
     /Users/user-name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit-compiler/02.cmake.cc
     /Users/user-name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit-compiler/00.options.out
     /Users/user-name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit-compiler/clang-build
     /Users/user-name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit-compiler/02.cmake
     /Users/user-name/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit-compiler/01.tar