Ask about distribution for release iOS 17

Dear iOS Developers,

I have a question about In-House distribution for iOS 17, currently I am using Xcode 14.x for distribute my application (for iOS 16.x and below). In the future, Apple will release the new iOS version that is iOS 17. So, my question is 1./ "Do I need to build and distribute the mobile application with Xcode 15 for supporting iOS 17? 2./ or iOS 17 can run In-house mobile application fine with building and distribution with Xcode 14.x?"

Anybody have knowledge about it?

Thanks, Lam

I’m not aware of any specific change in this space. However, the whole purpose of our beta programme is to let you test stuff like this. My advice is that you install the latest iOS 17 beta and confirm that your current workflows still function.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Dear Eskimo,

Thank you for your feedback, I am tested on iOS 17 beta and it is run fine for distribution IPA file with Xcode 14.x . However, in the previous version (such as iOS 16 beta last year, I must to distribute IPA file with Xcode 14 beta, the IPA file distribute with Xcode 13.x that cannot install on iOS 16 beta), that is the reason why I am not sure when iOS 17 release (expect on Sept-2023 or Oct-2023) for working fine or not with distribute IPA with Xcode 14 for In-House distribution or Development distribute.

Summary my concern that is "Do I need to build and distribute IPA file with Xcode 15 (Released version) for supporting iOS 17 (Released version on Sept-2023 or Oct-2023) or distribution IPA file with Xcode 14.x and it can run fine on iOS 17 released version? (for In-House distribution or Development distribute - internal only, not on Appstore.)"

Thanks, Lam

I am tested on iOS 17 beta and it is run fine for distribution IPA file with Xcode 14.x.

Cool. And that’s what I’d expect.

As a general rule iOS will run apps build with an older version of Xcode. There have been exceptions to this in the past, most notably the issue covered in Using the latest code signature format. However, I’m not aware of anything specific for iOS 17 beta.

Regardless, the best path forward here is to test your app, and its distribution workflow, on new betas as they are seeded.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Dear Eskimo,

Thank you for your support. I am clear now. I think we can close this post.

Thanks, Lam

Ask about distribution for release iOS 17

Q