MTLBuffer Debug Markers

I'm trying to compare two allocation schemes in my Metal renderer:

• allocate separate MTLBuffers out of an MTLHeap
  • allocate one full-size MTLBuffer from an MTLHeap, then doing my own suballocating and tracking the offsets

The first is straightforward and I get a nice overview of everything in the Xcode Metal debugger. For the second, I use addDebugMarker:range: to label each of my custom buffers. I have looked everywhere and can't see where my debug labels are supposed to appear in the debugger. The memory overview only shows the one MTLBuffer that spans the entire MTLHeap. My renderpass works as expected, but the command list and resource views only reference the single MTLBuffer as opposed to the tagged ranges.

What am I missing?

The debug markers are only visible in the Buffer viewer. Please try to open the buffer and see if the debug markers show up there.

Still no luck. I've updated to Xcode 15 Beta 5.0 in case that was an issue. Also:

• entered the Buffer viewer from the both the Memory viewer and from the Bound Resources during the renderpass itself
  • tried Automatic and Placement heap types
  • tried MTLBuffers with useResource: and with setVertexBuffer:

If a marker shows up in the Buffer viewer, I'm expecting it in the data table at the correct row offset. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

MTLBuffer Debug Markers

Q