Guideline 5.2.1 - Legal - Intellectual Property

Hello, I'm publishing free IOS app with my own name and Individual account. The app use to control my DIY hardware via Bluetooth. I called the App and the Hardware it control with my own name "***". There are no trademark with that name registered. My app has been rejected with the following reply:

Your app includes content or features from "***", or is marketed to control external hardware from "***", without the necessary authorization. The inclusion of third-party content within your app, whether retrieved from the internet by the app or embedded in the app, is subject to the terms of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement.

Your app and its contents should not infringe upon the rights of another party. In the event your app infringes another party’s rights, you are responsible for any liability to Apple because of a claim.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please attach documentary evidence in the App Review Information section in App Store Connect demonstrating authorization/ownership between "***" and "MyName". Once we have reviewed your documentation and confirmed its validity, we will proceed with the review of your app.

Alternatively, please remove the third-party content from your app and its metadata.

Please help. I don't know how to resolve this problem. How can I prove the "***" name belong to me or just a random name that I named they? Or how can I remove the "***" from my app because it's my App name?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Answered by JohnDao in 763431022

Finally, I have a authorization statement from my own company which allow me to control the hardware. The statement is accepted. Now my app is on the App Store.

Have you explained this in a reply to reviewer ?

You could propose reviewer to send him a copy of your ID or passport to prove you own the name.

As for the hardware

• is it a product you developed ? If so, who manufactures ?
  • If not, do you resell the hardware ? If so, could you prove you have a relationship with the manufacturer ?

After changing the app name to something very common and meaningful like Smart ****. And upload the demo video that show my prototype (just wiring board with some module). I evenly change the BLE module name to my name. The reviewer tell that still illegal with new name Smart ****. I’m very confused. I’m just a startup guy and I’m not able to register a trademark. It’s very expensive to me. Please help me to resolve this problem.

In your Appstore connect under App Information and under License Agreement, what do you have in there? When you edit you can choose Apple Standard Licence Agreement. I am not sure if this will work. Let us know. https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/dev/stdeula/

Accepted Answer

Finally, I have a authorization statement from my own company which allow me to control the hardware. The statement is accepted. Now my app is on the App Store.

Q