VPN not working / ignored under Ventura 13.5

I'm implementing a VPN using the Network Extension Framework.

I've recently noticed that our VPN was sometimes reporting to be connected, but when I checked my IP address it would be my public one. This was a drastic change of behavior that didn't seem to be associated with any specific change we have done recently.

Originally I was trying to debug this issue in our App, but then I noticed that another VPN I'm using that's directly set up through System Settings in macOS (Ventura 13.5), and that is not running any of our code, is showing the same behavior.

In this case the VPN was set up through System Settings as an IKEv2 VPN, so there's no 3rd party vendor code running - just macOS doing its thing.

Both times I had this issue, the only thing that would fix it was rebooting the computer.

When checking netstat -nr -f inet I noticed that the order of the default routes changed when the issue got resolved:

• When the VPN was connected but being ignored, the topmost route was en0, and the second route was ipsec.
  • When the VPN was connected and working fine, the topmost route was ipsec, and the second route was en0.

The same routing difference was visible for our own VPN network extension.

Any thoughts about how I can debug this further?

Given that this is not affecting only our VPN, but is also affecting an unrelated VPN managed by macOS it feels like it may be a macOS bug, but I'm not sure how to validate for that.

Given that this is not affecting only our VPN, but is also affecting an unrelated VPN managed by macOS it feels like it may be a macOS bug

Agreed. If you can reproduce this an a ‘clean’ machine, I recommend that you file a bug about it. Make sure to attach VPN specific diagnostics, per the VPN (Network Extension) for macOS instructions on our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I found one way to reproduce this easily is by having two requests to install a system extension, and only allowing the other one (ie: not the one for my VPN).

This results in my VPN loading anyways, but the routing table not being set correctly.

I added some additional details here: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/724153?answerId=762021022#762021022

We'll be posting a radar with a video because it seems to be a larger problem than the VPN not routing.

VPN not working / ignored under Ventura 13.5

Q