Tap To Present ID (Data Request) - Possible Without Reader Token/Branding Configuration?

I am attempting to implement the Tap to Present ID (Data Request) feature and am wondering if the Data Request will succeed without a reader token. From the wording in the WWDC video (31:50 in WWDC2023-10114 video), it sounds the reader token is necessary, but the example is building off of the previous MobileDriversLicenseDisplayRequest example where the the reader token was used only for the branding to be displayed.

In my app running on Simulator, I'm able to get the placeholder data to return from a MobileDriversLicenseDataRequest without using a reader token. Since I'm unable to test this on physical device (I don't live in a state that has Mobile ID's), I'm hoping an Apple engineer can comment on if the reader token is required strictly for the branding to be presented, and not for the Data Request itself to succeed. Thank you.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of iosdev92 Down vote post of iosdev92

Replies

Hey there! Thank you for the excellent question.

A reader token is required in order to perform a MobileDriversLicenseDataRequest, unlike with a display request where a reader token is optional.

Performing a data request on iPhone without first preparing the device with a reader token will result in an invalid request error being thrown. I apologize for the inconsistency between the device and simulator experiences, I will bring this feedback to the team and see if we can improve the documentation regarding this.