Failure building first target of simplest DriverKit sample CommunicatingBetweenADriverKitExtensionAndAClientApp per Apple documentation

After downloading the sample code from the provided link to Download, I performed the steps per the documentation:

You can set up the project to build with or without entitlements. To build without entitlements, do the following:

1. Temporarily turn off SIP, as described in the article Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection. After you’ve done this, confirm that SIP is disabled with the Terminal command csrutil status, and enter dext development mode with systemextensionsctl developer on, as described in the article Debugging and testing system extensions.
scott@Mac-mini-M1:CommunicatingBetweenADriverKitExtensionAndAClientApp $ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.
scott@Mac-mini-M1:CommunicatingBetweenADriverKitExtensionAndAClientApp $ systemextensionsctl developer
Developer mode is on
  1. Select the DriverKitUserClientSample project and use the “Signing & Capabilities” tab to set the DriverKitSampleApp and CppUserClient targets to automatically managed code signing.
  2. While still in the “Signing & Capabilities” tab, set the NullDriver target to manual code signing.
  3. In the “Build Settings” tab, change the “Code Signing Identity” value to “Sign to Run Locally” for all three targets.

When I then go to build the NullDriver, I get the following failure:

error: Ad Hoc code signing is not allowed with SDK 'DriverKit 22.4' (in target 'NullDriver' from project 'DriverKitUserClientSample')

Something must be wrong in the combined effects of steps 3 and 4 in the settings for NullDriver given the resulting error. What is the correct procedure for DriverKit 22.4?

Oops on the formatting that I didn't notice that steps 2-4 had been renumbered 1-3; I suppose I broke the numbered list in two.

Failure building first target of simplest DriverKit sample CommunicatingBetweenADriverKitExtensionAndAClientApp per Apple documentation

Q