notarytool can't get password from keychain like altool does

This is the command I use, but must migrate, to notarize a macOS app:

xcrun altool --notarize-app -f "$outputDmg" --primary-bundle-id "$notarizeBundleId" -u "$notarizeUser" -p "@keychain:AC_PASSWORD"

The migration docs I read implied that the following should work:

xcrun notarytool submit --apple-id "$notarizeUser" "--team-id" $notarizeTeam --password "@keychain:AC_PASSWORD" "$outputDmg"

But it doesn't. I can get it to work only if I put the password from the keychain on the command line. I cannot accept this.

What can I do to make this work?

I should mention the fact that I can display the password in the keychain if I execute this: security find-generic-password -w -s 'AC_PASSWORD' -a "$notarizeUser"

And I should mention that I'm using an app-specific password and that I've been using altool this way for years.

Here is a link to the migration doc I cited: TN3147: Migrating to the latest notarization tool | Apple Developer Documentation?changes=_3_3

Looks like I have to jump through some hoops to store the password a different way and then add the --keychain-profile AC_PASSWORD option on the command line. Not at all happy as this provides me with no apparent benefit. Just lots of change. Thanks for nothin.

notarytool can't get password from keychain like altool does

Q