Video Passthrough with Compositor Services and Metal on visionOS

I just created my first Compositor Services/Metal project for visionOS. I was surprised when I ran it in the simulator that the room wasn't visible.

Looking through the Compositor Services API, there doesn't seem to be a way to enable passthrough video. If that's true it means there's no way to create a mixed immersive space using Compositor Services and Metal. And if that's true, it would also apply to game engines like Unity that use those APIs to support immersive spaces. (I'm aware that Unity also has a feature that allows it to render using RealityKit, but I'm referring to full screen apps using features like custom shaders.)

Does this mean that apps created with Compositor Services and Metal are VR-only? If so, is that the way things are going to be for 1.0? And if that's so, are there any plans to allow compositing with the passthrough video in a future release?

I hope I'm overlooking something obvious. Thanks in advance.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 762562022

Hello,

Looking through the Compositor Services API, there doesn't seem to be a way to enable passthrough video.

That is correct.

If so, is that the way things are going to be for 1.0? And if that's so, are there any plans to allow compositing with the passthrough video in a future release?

We cannot comment on the future, if you would like to use Metal and composite with passthrough video, please file an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant!

Accepted Answer

Hello,

Looking through the Compositor Services API, there doesn't seem to be a way to enable passthrough video.

That is correct.

If so, is that the way things are going to be for 1.0? And if that's so, are there any plans to allow compositing with the passthrough video in a future release?

We cannot comment on the future, if you would like to use Metal and composite with passthrough video, please file an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant!

Video Passthrough with Compositor Services and Metal on visionOS

Q