iOS 17 beta (and iOS 16) Music Gapless Playback Broken ... Again

Am I the only one having this problem?

The Music app on iOS 17 beta does not cleanly seque between songs that are intended to have no gap between them. When gapless songs are played (e.g., Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", The Beatles' "Abbey Road"), a noticeable gap is heard between songs. These are songs in my music library that I sync from my computer, not Apple Music streams. It should be noted that this bug also exists in iOS 16.6, and I've verified that the problem does not occur on a older phone running iOS 15.7.8.

More importantly, when I put the device in Airplane mode, the songs seque correctly, without any gaps. I suspect that the Music app is phoning home to Apple (a bad practice in and of itself) and something is interrupting playback queuing. Even when I have Cellular access turned off for the Music app, and am not connected to Wi-Fi, the problem persists. The only way to make gapless playback work is to turn off all of the device radios via Airplane mode.

Understand that this is NOT a cross-fade issue. It is a gapless issue. And it's not an Apple Music streaming issue. The problem seems to be more prevalent for songs encoded as 128 kbps AAC.

In comparison, the Music app on macOS (Ventura, 13.5) operates correctly. It's only iOS that no longer performs gapless playback.

I've filed bug reports (FB12992049 and FB13019931), but have not heard anything from Apple.

Like I asked at the beginning, am I the only one having this problem? It's extremely maddening that Apple can't get this right. I can't play my Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, and my other AOR playlists, including my late 60's Beatles. Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave.

I just noticed this today and found this. I thought THE SAME THING - STEVE would not be happy. Abby Road is broken.]]

This needs to be fixed ASAP.

I've also encountered the problem with newly generated AAC files that are of iTunes Plus (256 kbps) quality. They play correctly on my MacBook Pro (Ventura 13.5.2) Music app. They do not play correctly on my iPhone 14 Pro Max (iOS 16.6.1) Music app; they exibit the gap between the songs. However, putting the device into Airplane mode allows the music to play without gaps. So I believe it's a threading priority issue where Apple is communicating back to its servers while I'm playing MY OWN music, and they interrupt the playback to send data. So, first and foremost, they're degrading the user experience in favor of what I suspect to be data mining. Secondly ... it appears they're data mining! I really hope I'm wrong about this, and I wish someone at Apple would at least fess up to the issue. I'm really tempted to start sniffing the Wi-Fi traffic from my phone during playback to see what they're doing.

Very aggravating!

Just verified that this still happens on iOS 17 RC.

This has been broken for quite a while now... very sad.

Apple: This is absolutely shameful, and you should feel bad about this. What the hell is wrong with you to break this after all these years!? I'm glad music playback via my phone isn't something I need often, as this is a dealbreaker. Back to a third-party app.

Gapless playback still doesn't work.

Note: Gapless playback works fine on my MacBook Pro but not on my iPhone 13 Pro, furthermore switching to Airplane mode DOES NOT fix the issue.

I listen to a lot of house and techno compilations that I buy on CD (yes, I'm the guy who's single handedly supporting the CD industry), I burn these to my mac and create playlists from them etc. The mixes are 1 continuous mix of many tracks, they are supposed to be entirely gapless and the iPhone music App has utterly ruined this experience!

Has anyone looked at alternative apps that I assume use would use the same library of music!

Marvis, Soor etc.....I just want a music App that offers gapless playback, I don't stream via Spotify etc and I'm not looking for a premium subscription service. I'll willingly pay for an app that seamlessly integrates with my library either on my phone or my mac (or both) but importantly offers gapless playback!

HELP!

iOS 17 beta (and iOS 16) Music Gapless Playback Broken ... Again

Q