loadFileRepresentationForTypeIdentifier returns an empty file

Calling loadFileRepresentationForTypeIdentifier sometimes returns an empty file, the URL params is filled with a path where a file exists, however it contains empty content.

My app is released on the store and this error happens 1.5% of the time my users pick an image / video from their gallery using the UIImagePickerControllerDelegate.

I was able to reproduce this bug and here is a screenshot of XCode in debug mode so you can see that the file is empty right after calling loadFileRepresentationForTypeIdentifier

I'm using XCode 14.3.1, a real iPhone 12 with iOS 16.3.1 and coding in Objective-C.

Step to repro :

1- Capture a live photo with your device

2- Pick this photo from your gallery using UIImagePickerControllerDelegate -> didFinishPicking

3- Grab the item provider and call provider loadFileRepresentationForTypeIdentifier:@"public.jpeg"

4- Inside the completion handler check the file size of the URL provided in the parameters

It is 1.5% repro, so to repro in local I had to take hundreds of live photos. But with patience, it happens and you can debug.

Note: Calling a second time loadFileRepresentationForTypeIdentifier:@"public.jpeg" inside the completionHandler returns a URL pointing to a real file with existing content, thus there might be some race conditions somewhere.

Do you have any workarounds?

loadFileRepresentationForTypeIdentifier returns an empty file

Q