Notarization of Python library stuck

Hi there,

I could use some help with notarizing. I'm developing a Python module in the Rust programming language. The extension of the resulting library file is .so, which is necessary for Python to see it, instead of the regular .dylib. I compile this library for both apple silicon and intel.

When a user first imports the library which in turn imports the library, and the user is confronted with Gatekeeper.

So I guess I need to notarize the module file. And that's where I'm stuck. I created an Apple developer account, created a "Developer ID Application" certificate and used codesign to sign the .so file with it. That worked.

I then used ditto to create a zip file with just the .so file: "ditto -c -k --keepParent my_module.so my_module.zip"

The 600 kb file quickly uploads to Apple and I get an ID for checking the logs later on. Then I wait for the progress........ And nothing happens for hours on end. When I check the logs for the provided ID I get this message: "Submission log is not yet available or submissionId does not exist"

I also checked if perhaps the notarization did work regardless of the above, with "spctl -a -t exec -vvv ./my_module.so". Says it's rejected, source=Unnotarized Developer ID.

There is not much that I can work with, because I don't get an error message. Any ideas?

Have fun,

Wybren

And... suddenly it works after a full 24 hours. New notarization commands are now also very quick to process. And my original post above also took 5 hours to suddenly get approved, all at the same time. Maybe this has to do with my developer account which is new? It was completely approved and everything so it should have been working. Or at least I should have gotten an error message. But everything seems to be working now.

And... suddenly it works after a full 24 hours.

Right. I’ve seen a bunch of folks report similar stuff recently, where their first notarisation request takes an extraordinarily long time and then things proceed smoothly from there. I’m still researching this situation.

But everything seems to be working now.

Excellent news.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Notarization of Python library stuck

Q