VZVirtualMachine randomly freezes

Im using VZVirtualMahcine with Linux guest system. Every once in a while, for no apparent reason, VM just freezes completely (screen just freezes at current state), and CPU usage of the process on host is using 100%. I need to force quit the app then. This happens even if guest os is just running doing nothing. Anyone else experienced this kind of behavior? It was like that on Ventura, and now also on Sonoma. Xcode 14 and 15.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of DDudycz Down vote post of DDudycz

Replies

The guest freezing and using 100% CPU sounds like a kernel panic in Linux.

Does the guest kernel output anything on the serial device?

No, nothing. Screen just freezes. And it can happened even in just console environments, with nothing running at the moment, it's very minimalistic Gentoo installation.

• I noticed another thing, when being connected to it via ssh, but this is different issue. It doesn't get stuck at 100% then, but all the command are not responding anymore. For example: -bash: /bin/ls: Input/output error Other commands return -bash: emerge: command not found. It kinda looks like it losses the ability to read the virtual hard drive attached.

Add a Comment

can still conform this bug.

Macmini m2 chip, Ventura 13.5.2.

have tried linux guest os debian 11/12, ubuntu 22.04

mark & look forward the fix notification.

I have a similar issue using Xcode 15.2 and Sonoma 14.2.1 on an MBP M2 Pro.

I used macOS Ventura as Guest OS. Most times, the guest recovers after a few seconds or minutes but in rare situations I need to kill the guest. While it's frozen the guest utilises 1 CPU core (100%).