Charging Issues after Sonoma Upgrade

I have an M1 (2020 version) and an M2 (2022 version), I've updated the m2 (to Sonoma) first and the m1 the next day. It works just fine but charging was intermittent. The day after, both Macs stopped charging totally.

I've tried all possible solutions from the internet and Apple's support chat but nothing worked.

I've tried 4 chargers in total and my chargers would work on my brother's Macs which are still in Ventura. My chargers which would work on my Macs would work perfectly fine on my brother's Macs (Ventura).

I do not see any other threads/forums online of people having this issue so I wanted to check here if anybody else has the same issue as this?

P.S. I've sent both Macs to an authorized Apple service center for diagnostics but I'm wondering how this could happen since both Macs would work fine before I've upgraded. The issues started to appear only after the upgrade.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of almira Down vote post of almira
5.3k views
  • Yes, I am having the same issue after upgrade to Sonoma. The charging ON and OFF automatically. I'm using using New Mac book Air M2, 2023.

• Old MPB 2019, battery drains even if attached to power with an official Apple charger. After 1 hour the MBP simply shuts down and I've to wait half an hour before it restarts again. Simply unusable after the update.

• I have McBook Pro 2019 too and having the same problem since last four days, although I updated Sonomo many months before. My friend is having the same problem. Is anyone also experiencing when waken up from sleep mode on pressing the keyboard buttons , it is not waking up. Only by clicking the power button it is waking up. Any idea how to solve this issue ?

Add a Comment

Replies

Same here.

I used to keep my M1 Macbook Air charged via its connection to my LG monitor. After updating to sonoma 14.2 it connects to the monitor but it doesn't charge anymore (although it charges if connected to its charger).

Hello Guys,

I am also facing a same issue here which my mac was 2020 MBP with Intel processor. My mac has no charging at all as soon as update to Mac Sonoma. I've tried all the ways you guy said and nothing at all yet. Now mine was dead but had time to do backup.

is there anything update alongside with the update?

Same issue for me. It will randomly charge fine after being plugged in while dead for long periods of time but this is the only solution I have found. Has anyone found a more permanent solution? Or simply waiting for a bug fix in future OS.

Same problems here. Ever since installing Sonoma, I have to unplug and replug my USB-C hub to start charging through it. It's a little bit annoying, I have to say.

same here, now my mac have only 15% batter, can not charge

I have experienced this on 3 Macbooks since the Sonoma update. First, with my 2021 14" MacBook Pro M1. Within days of the update, the Magsafe charger (which had worked without issue since purchase) started flashing red. I spent 2 months making repeat trips to the "local" (3-hr drive roundtrip) Apple store to diagnose and repair. They sent me home repeatedly with new cables only to have the problem repeat itself within 2-3 days. The charging block worked just fine in-store and at home with USB-C cables, but the Magsafe cable seems to burn out with limited use, even when fresh out of the box from the Apple store. Their team went so far as to replace the MagSafe board in the unit itself, to try and remedy. But meanwhile I bought a brand new 2023 14" Macbook Pro M3 to try and just replace and eliminate the problem. The same thing happened yet again, 3rd Macbook. Simultaneously, my office shipped me a 16" 2022 Macbook Pro. Once updated, same thing. The USB-C cable works in all 3 (as do the original, in-box power blocks). But MagSafe is useless. The manager of the local Genius Bar told me to return my new M3 unit while I can if they do not release a firmware update within the return window. So far, I see no indication that Apple is working to resolve this issue. Be warned.

Same issues here since sonoma my macbook is acting wired , it’s plug for more than few hours , sometime it charge but when battery is drain low it sometime doesn’t charge…. never happen before sonoma @apple team please solve this issue i don’t want my macbook to be spoil because of an upgrade OS.

Same here, only after upgrading to Sonoma, I am on v14.4.. It's urgent, very distracting!

Yesterday I received a second hand macbook pro A2141 16 inches. All fine with original macos. I updated to 14.4 and when I plug USB-C cable it make sound and then it is not charging it at all Any advice?

My MBP16 m2 Max 2023 has got the same issue on Sonoma.

I use a command to watch the power adapter status. Save the following shell codes into a file named power.sh

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ioreg  -r -bc AppleSmartBattery | /usr/bin/grep -i "AppleRawAdapterDetails"

then execute the following command to make power.sh executable:

chmod +x power.sh

then execute power.sh

./power.sh

For my MBP now, which the power adapter is connected to a usb-c hub and the hub is connected to the usb-c port of MBP. The full power of the adapter is 140W, while power.sh outputs the following

"AppleRawAdapterDetails" = ({"IsWireless"=No,"AdapterID"=0,"AdapterVoltage"=20000,"FamilyCode"=18446744073172697098,"UsbHvcHvcIndex"=4,"Watts"=60,"UsbHvcMenu"=({"Index"=0,"MaxCurrent"=3000,"MaxVoltage"=5000},{"Index"=1,"MaxCurrent"=3000,"MaxVoltage"=9000},{"Index"=2,"MaxCurrent"=3000,"MaxVoltage"=12000},{"Index"=3,"MaxCurrent"=3000,"MaxVoltage"=15000},{"Index"=4,"MaxCurrent"=3000,"MaxVoltage"=20000}),"Current"=3000,"PMUConfiguration"=3000})

Obviously, the max power of my MBP is 140 Watts, and the current adapter just can provide 60 Watts. So if I run some software with heavy load on MBP, the battery drains.

However, things do not go such easy. Even when I connect the original power adapter with a mag-safe power cord, the battery drains slowly when the MBP is running. When I click the battery icon on the status bar and select the menu item "charge the battery", it seems the battery stops drain and started to be charged.

I believe this is a bug of Sonoma. Hope apple solve it ASAP.

I just bought a brand new MBP 14" M3 Pro and I have the same problem. Mine occurs when I try to charge via usb-c hub and put my MBP in clamshell. The first time it happened, my laptop was just 3 days old. I brought it to the service center and they couldn't find any reaosn for the error. All ports (usb-c and magsafe) refused to charge even with their cables and adapters. So, they replaced the unit. Now, three days form when I got the replacement, I tried to do the same thing again (charging via usb c hub + clamshell) and it stopped charging again! This is exhausting. Apple, please fix this!