Charging Issues after Sonoma Upgrade

I have an M1 (2020 version) and an M2 (2022 version), I've updated the m2 (to Sonoma) first and the m1 the next day. It works just fine but charging was intermittent. The day after, both Macs stopped charging totally.

I've tried all possible solutions from the internet and Apple's support chat but nothing worked.

I've tried 4 chargers in total and my chargers would work on my brother's Macs which are still in Ventura. My chargers which would work on my Macs would work perfectly fine on my brother's Macs (Ventura).

I do not see any other threads/forums online of people having this issue so I wanted to check here if anybody else has the same issue as this?

P.S. I've sent both Macs to an authorized Apple service center for diagnostics but I'm wondering how this could happen since both Macs would work fine before I've upgraded. The issues started to appear only after the upgrade.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of almira Down vote post of almira
4.9k views
  • Yes, I am having the same issue after upgrade to Sonoma. The charging ON and OFF automatically. I'm using using New Mac book Air M2, 2023.

• Old MPB 2019, battery drains even if attached to power with an official Apple charger. After 1 hour the MBP simply shuts down and I've to wait half an hour before it restarts again. Simply unusable after the update.

• I have McBook Pro 2019 too and having the same problem since last four days, although I updated Sonomo many months before. My friend is having the same problem. Is anyone also experiencing when waken up from sleep mode on pressing the keyboard buttons , it is not waking up. Only by clicking the power button it is waking up. Any idea how to solve this issue ?

Add a Comment

Replies

I am facing the same issue in my M1 MacBook Pro after installing the Sonoma. However, it charged perfectly with USB C ports. Moreover, I restarted the laptop plugging the charging cable and it charged until I logged in. After login, the charger cable showed green and red lights consecutively on an interval of 10 seconds but charging was stopped.

Same behavior on both of my Macs (Air and Pro), they would indicate to be charging but then disconnect from charging in few seconds interval until the m1-Air just died and couldn't charge it anymore. M2 also stopped charging so I sent them both to the service center.

Has your charging issue been resolved though?

Same issue here. I can more or less work around this by leaving my M1 MBP closed/sleeping for a while, and then it will charge OK. It seems to be triggered in my case by accidentally dislodging the MagSafe connector a couple of times in a row. Definitely didn't happen pre-Sonoma.

We appreciate your interest in participating in the forums! These forums are for questions about developing software and accessories for Apple platforms. Your question seems related to a consumer feature and is better suited for the Apple Support Communities

I'm facing the same issue my M2 Macbook Air 2022.I charged my Macbook.And then charging started and after maybe 3-5 seconds, charging stopped. and then started again and stopped again.This case occur again and again.However,I can charge well when I restart my Macbook and don't login.When I logged in this case occur again. Please let's me know, when you all guys find the solution.

• There was no solution for me as my mac just totally stopped charging. I had to send it to an Apple authorized service center for diagnostics and it seems my charging port became faulty, and as for my other mac the entire motherboard is broken.

Both of my macs are to be repaired.

Not sure if Apple is well aware of this issue as it seems their update triggers hardware issues on the machine.

Where is the best place to raise this apart from here, does anybody know?

Add a Comment

Having same issue with m1 pro macbook & m1 max studio :(

• You should take it to Apple or an authorized service center (whichever is available in your location).

Both my Macs got major hardware issues that had to be repaired – motherboard on m2 and charging port on m1. They didn't get fixed even with factory reset, although you can always try that on your machine or if you have a backup or Time Machine then you should just downgrade.

Add a Comment

I have a quite similar issue on Sonoma, however it only seems to affect charging via USB-C Hub.

It started recently and I don't quite understand what is going on as this has been working well for over a year. Maybe the Laptop is already getting old? (M1 Air)

So it usually charges fine but sometimes it just stops charging all together and the battery percentage starts depleting. Unplugging the USB hub and reconnecting it tends to show the message that it's on a "power adapter but not charging" or something similar. I have got it working almost every time by restarting the computer and switching the low power mode ON and OFF. It takes like half a minute and then it starts charging again.

I was thinking that perhaps it had something to do with overheating protection since I run quite heavy AI workloads on the machine and it gets quite warm. But I don't think that's really the case, because if I plug in the charger straight into the MacBook instead of via the USB hub, then it will charge normally. If it was an overheat protection then I don't think it would make any difference how I tried to charge the machine.

It could be that something has happened to the USB hub and that it's not faulty. But then it's strange that I can temporarily fix the issue by rebooting the Mac and mess with the power settings.

And given that these issues started recently after upgrading to Sonoma it makes you wonder...

My battery health is reported as normal sitting at 89%

I am currently thinking about how to move away from the USB hub. I want to be able to connect a USB-C SSD, an external display and still be able to charge the laptop.

I had now issue that my usb port on my mac, is not working, then it will work suddenly but it wont work again. i have try hardware check it says no problem with the hardware. i hope this will be resolved.

This happened to me too - I was just about to head to the Genius Bar to get it serviced but decided to let the battery completely die - about an hour or two after it died I tried turning it back on (it was still plugged in) and I noticed it had begun charging again. I'm guessing letting the battery completely die reset the SMC.

Any new users experiencing this may want to try resetting the SMC yourself (search online how to do so) if you still have battery, otherwise just let it die and check back after a few hours. Stupid issue but at least I didn't have to drive to the Apple Store.

I have the same issue after upgrading to Sonoma. I plug in the power cable, but it's not charging. Please fix the bug!

this is not a fault or a bug this is apple trying to create an illegal monopoly on chargers for laptops basically in the someone update apple have put a setting to stop your computer charging unless it is connected to an official made by apple charger which costs 3 times the price of a third party charger and is built to break within 2 years. So essentially you will have to keep replacing your charger every 2 years or less at apples over inflated charger prices, even if you divert back to the old operating system it will still not charge on anything apart from a made by apple charger its basically looking to eliminate all competition and create a monopoly win the market which while illegal I am sure their team of lawyers are experts at helping apple circumnavigate laws to fuel the greed of those in charge.

Mac 14,9. Apple M2 Pro 2023. After update 14.1.1. Battery drain 1%. And not charging. Doesn't charge anything...

• 1.12.23 - Mac run charging. All history charging clear. Update 14.1.2

Add a Comment

Similar issue.

My M1 2021 model stops working charging optimally with my 140w charger as soon as the battery drops below 80%. I believe that it has something to do with the optimal charging protocols; Lightning charge before 80%, and standard speed charge after 80%.

In other words, if my battery remains above 80% charge, it's permanently fine.

What's strange, is that my wife's 85w charger works fine at any battery percentage.

So we've swapped.

But I really pray that apple fix this bug soon.

Same here.

I am very sure it is the Sonoma software, since upgrading, the same wire and charger is intermittent. Apple please own up the problem and solve it. it is really very annoying.

One solution which seems to work is unplug the USB cable both ends, swap over and replug, seems to solve it temporoiary