Identifying actual apps which is using com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc

Hi,

AFAIK Safari or any macOS apps which uses WKWebview, uses com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc to do actual networking.

I am working on a packet tunnel, where I am able to get process id associated with packet read. Based on process id, i am using libproc to get process name.

I am facing below problem:

For Safari or any other apps which uses WKWebview having same process name: com.apple.WebKit.Networking

Any ways to distinguish wether it is from safari or other xyz wkwebview apps?

Related Problem: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/693528 In this thread, app proxy can help but in packet tunnel no such options exposed.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 768262022

I call this the ‘responsibility problem’, that is, for a given process, how do you determine which user-visible app is responsible for it. It crops up all the time on our platforms. The system has a bunch of infrastructure to track responsibility. You can see this in Activity Monitor, which you show the process list hierarchically. However, there’s virtually no API surface for that infrastructure )-:

I say “virtually” because there is one way you can get this info: by creating an Endpoint Security client [1]. If your product already has an ES client, you could use that to solve this problem. If not, I don’t have any good suggestions.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] ES surfaces this via the responsible_audit_token property.

Accepted Answer

I call this the ‘responsibility problem’, that is, for a given process, how do you determine which user-visible app is responsible for it. It crops up all the time on our platforms. The system has a bunch of infrastructure to track responsibility. You can see this in Activity Monitor, which you show the process list hierarchically. However, there’s virtually no API surface for that infrastructure )-:

I say “virtually” because there is one way you can get this info: by creating an Endpoint Security client [1]. If your product already has an ES client, you could use that to solve this problem. If not, I don’t have any good suggestions.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] ES surfaces this via the responsible_audit_token property.

Identifying actual apps which is using com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc

Q