Trying to understand VPN types

There are some terms I've come across so far relating to a packet tunnel provider: "On Demand", "Per App", "Always On", "Source-application mode", "Destination IP mode", "App extension", "System extension".

I'm trying to understand how these ideas fit together. I'm trying to make a packet tunnel provider setup on iOS which tunnels ALL traffic through it. Which combination of terms does this entail. I'm assuming it must be "Destination IP mode" and maybe "System extension" and probably not "Per App" but maybe "On Demand" or "Always On"?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 768394022

You’re not the first person to be confused by this stuff, so I decided to put the answers in a standalone post: Network Extension and VPN Glossary.

Let me know if any of this is unclear or you encounter any more confusing terms.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Also, what does "App Store only", "managed devices only" and "supervised devices only" mean in this documentation?

Accepted Answer

You’re not the first person to be confused by this stuff, so I decided to put the answers in a standalone post: Network Extension and VPN Glossary.

Let me know if any of this is unclear or you encounter any more confusing terms.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Trying to understand VPN types

Q