Performance degradation using Endpoint Security library on Sonoma

Hello community

we have been using an Endpoint Security client within a system extension for quite a while now. After some users updated macOS to Sonoma, we got complaints about slower performance when using MS Office on Mac. The product features work as expected, and our system extension is loaded and delivers events.

Upon inspection of the log files, we found the following (but not on all machines):

[com.apple.TCC:access] Failed to create LSApplicationRecord for file:///Library/SystemExtensions/0062566E-9869-4CC4-A666-F641F5C011CD/com.sophos.endpoint.scanextension.systemextension/: 'The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -10811.)'

and

[com.apple.TCC:access] -[TCCDAccessIdentity staticCode]: static code for: identifier com.sophos.endpoint.scanextension, type: 0: 0x7fb63da318c0 at /Library/SystemExtensions/0062566E-9869-4CC4-A666-F641F5C011CD/com.sophos.endpoint.scanextension.systemextension

for almost each event delivered. We are using XPC from the system extension to a non-priviliged daemon process to process file content.

A feedback has already been filed: FB13174804

An additional code-level support was returnd woithout any explanation.

Signing checks of the system extension and the containing app (daemon) on Sonoma turn up without any errros.

Any idea, whats going on here?

Frank Fenn Sophos Inc.

Replies

What does the OSStatus error -10811. mean in this context?

Error -10811 is kLSNotAnApplicationErr. Launch Services is trying update its database of apps and something has gone wrong. Based on the rest of the message, my assumption is that it was blocked by TCC. There’s clearly some deeper underlying cause but I’ve no idea what that might be. Given that this is a clear regression in macOS 14, then that’s something that the ES and TCC teams will have to investigate, at least IMO.

If you’re hitting the similar problems to the ones described by frankfenn, I recommend that you file your own bug with the details.

If you file a bug, please post the number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Add a Comment