NEFilterPacketProvider severely reduces bandwidth

Hello everyone,

I'm currently developing a firewall using a network extension that employs two methods: NEFilterDataProvider, which specifically filters UDP and TCP connections, and NEFilterPacketProvider, designed to filter all packets. However, I've noticed that utilizing NEFilterPacketProvider results in a 50% reduction in bandwidth compared to when it's not in use.

Within my packetHandler closure, I'm only returning 'allow.' I suspect this slowdown might be due to the packet data cache being passed to my extension, with only one active thread available to handle it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust the size of the packet buffer, increase the number of threads dedicated to processing packets, or configure specific rules to mitigate this issue.

Thank you.

NE providers certainly have an impact on performance. If you have a packet filter provider that just returns .allow, there’s nothing you can do to improve performance. You should feel free to file a bug about this performance impact, but I think it’s fair to say that the NE team is aware of that already.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

NEFilterPacketProvider severely reduces bandwidth

Q