Swift Playground Bundle can't find Compiled CoreML Model (.mlmodelc)

I have been attempting to debug this for over 10 hours...

I am working on implementing Apple's MobileNetV2 CoreML model into a Swift Playgrounds. I performed the following steps

• Compiled CoreML model in regular Xcode project
  • Moved Compiled CoreML (MobileNetV2.mlmodelc) model to Resources folder of Swift Playground
  • Copy Paste the model class (MobileNetV2.swift) into the Sources folder of Swift Playground
  • Use UIImage extensions to resize and convert UIImage into CVbuffer
  • Implement basic code to run the model.

However, every time I run this, it keeps giving me this error:

MobileNetV2.swift:100: Fatal error: Unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value

From the automatically generated model class function:

/// URL of model assuming it was installed in the same bundle as this class
    class var urlOfModelInThisBundle : URL {
        let bundle = Bundle(for: self)
        return bundle.url(forResource: "MobileNetV2", withExtension:"mlmodelc")!
    }

The model builds perfectly, this is my contentView Code:

import SwiftUI

struct ContentView: View {

func test() -> String{

// 1. Load the image from the 'Resources' folder.
            let newImage = UIImage(named: "img")

// 2. Resize the image to the required input dimension of the Core ML model
            // Method from UIImage+Extension.swift
            let newSize = CGSize(width: 224, height: 224)
            guard let resizedImage = newImage?.resizeImageTo(size: newSize) else {
                fatalError("⚠️ The image could not be found or resized.")
            }

// 3. Convert the resized image to CVPixelBuffer as it is the required input
            // type of the Core ML model. Method from UIImage+Extension.swift
            guard let convertedImage = resizedImage.convertToBuffer() else {
                fatalError("⚠️ The image could not be converted to CVPixelBugger")
            }

// 1. Create the ML model instance from the model class in the 'Sources' folder
            let mlModel = MobileNetV2()

// 2. Get the prediction output
            guard let prediction = try? mlModel.prediction(image: convertedImage) else {
                fatalError("⚠️ The model could not return a prediction")
            }

// 3. Checking the results of the prediction
            let mostLikelyImageCategory = prediction.classLabel
            let probabilityOfEachCategory = prediction.classLabelProbs

var highestProbability: Double {
                let probabilty = probabilityOfEachCategory[mostLikelyImageCategory] ?? 0.0
                let roundedProbability = (probabilty * 100).rounded(.toNearestOrEven)

return roundedProbability
            }

return("\(mostLikelyImageCategory): \(highestProbability)%")

}

var body: some View {
        VStack {
            let _ = print(test())
            Image(systemName: "globe")
                .imageScale(.large)
                .foregroundColor(.accentColor)
            Text("Hello, world!")
            Image(uiImage: UIImage(named: "img")!)

}
    }
}

Upon printing my bundle contents, I get these:

["_CodeSignature", "metadata.json", "__PlaceholderAppIcon76x76@2x~ipad.png", "Info.plist", "__PlaceholderAppIcon60x60@2x.png", "coremldata.bin", "{App Name}", "PkgInfo", "Assets.car", "embedded.mobileprovision"]

Anything would help 🙏

For additional reference, here are my UIImage extensions in ExtImage.swift:

//Huge thanks to @mprecke on github for these UIImage extension function.

import Foundation
import UIKit

extension UIImage {

func resizeImageTo(size: CGSize) -> UIImage? {

UIGraphicsBeginImageContextWithOptions(size, false, 0.0)
        self.draw(in: CGRect(origin: CGPoint.zero, size: size))
        let resizedImage = UIGraphicsGetImageFromCurrentImageContext()!
        UIGraphicsEndImageContext()
        return resizedImage
    }

func convertToBuffer() -> CVPixelBuffer? {

let attributes = [
            kCVPixelBufferCGImageCompatibilityKey: kCFBooleanTrue,
            kCVPixelBufferCGBitmapContextCompatibilityKey: kCFBooleanTrue
        ] as CFDictionary

var pixelBuffer: CVPixelBuffer?

let status = CVPixelBufferCreate(
            kCFAllocatorDefault, Int(self.size.width),
            Int(self.size.height),
            kCVPixelFormatType_32ARGB,
            attributes,
            &pixelBuffer)

guard (status == kCVReturnSuccess) else {
            return nil
        }

CVPixelBufferLockBaseAddress(pixelBuffer!, CVPixelBufferLockFlags(rawValue: 0))

let pixelData = CVPixelBufferGetBaseAddress(pixelBuffer!)
        let rgbColorSpace = CGColorSpaceCreateDeviceRGB()

let context = CGContext(
            data: pixelData,
            width: Int(self.size.width),
            height: Int(self.size.height),
            bitsPerComponent: 8,
            bytesPerRow: CVPixelBufferGetBytesPerRow(pixelBuffer!),
            space: rgbColorSpace,
            bitmapInfo: CGImageAlphaInfo.noneSkipFirst.rawValue)

context?.translateBy(x: 0, y: self.size.height)
        context?.scaleBy(x: 1.0, y: -1.0)

UIGraphicsPushContext(context!)
        self.draw(in: CGRect(x: 0, y: 0, width: self.size.width, height: self.size.height))
        UIGraphicsPopContext()

CVPixelBufferUnlockBaseAddress(pixelBuffer!, CVPixelBufferLockFlags(rawValue: 0))

return pixelBuffer
    }

}

Accepted Reply

I believe I finally found an overall solution that works for both compiled (.mlmodelc) and uncompiled models (.mlmodel, .mlpackage), plus an explanation of why .mlmodelc files may not be correctly copied in the bundle during the build process (even though it succeeds).

I also sent a similar answer to this other thread, and included a few more details about an issue unique to Xcode and uncompiled models.

You will need to edit the Package.swift file manually. Go to the playground in Finder, control-click it and select Show Package Contents. Then, open the Package.swift file. At the bottom of this file, you'll find the following target section, which might look different for you:

targets: [
        .executableTarget(
            name: "AppModule",
            path: ".",
            resources: [
                .process("Resources") // copy resources to the app bundle without keeping folder structure
            ]
        )
    ]

The .process("Resources") line indicates that the resources (in your case, your model) must be copied without keeping the original folder structure. Say you have 2 folders inside the Resources folder, and in each of these you have a few files. Only the files inside will be copied in the bundle, and the 2 original folders won't appear.

You will need to replace (or add, if you don't have the process() function) process() with copy(), which maintains the internal folder structure (I explained below why). You can either use .copy("Resources"), which require you to change the model's bundle URL like this:

return bundle.url(forResource: "Resources/MobileNetV2", withExtension:"mlmodelc")!
    }

Or you might directly copy the model folder to the Bundle using .copy("Resources/MobileNetV2") and keep the original URL - note that this way, any other files in the Resources might not be available unless you add other process / copy functions to your Package.swift file.

For more information about process() and copy(), check the docs for bundling resources with Swift Packages (since a Swift Playground is a special type of a Swift Package).

Why compiled models are not correctly copied in the bundle using process()

Compiled ML models are essentially a folder that contains one or more coremldata.bin files (and maybe other files as well) - in fact, they appear as a folder on the filesystem (you can cd into them in Terminal). The reason why these .mlmodelc aren't correctly copied to your bundle when using .process("Resources"), or may give a build error with certain models that contain more coremldata.bin files, is that the internal folder structure is not copied, but only the files inside it. That's why you found that your bundle contained a coremldata.bin file only.

Using the previously mentioned .copy() method, you can keep the internal folder structure.

Regarding why uncompiled models cannot be built in Xcode, something similar might be happening, but these do not appear as folders on the filesystem - so this should probably not happen and perhaps it is a build issue. It also seems that .mlmodels are not compiled at runtime, which I believe used to happen in the previous Swift Playgrounds / Xcode versions from last year.

Let me know if this works!

• Lifesaver

• HI!, im the guy from the other thread jaja, now that I changed the .process function for .copy, im getting this error: Command CodeSign failed with a nonzero exit code, what could it be?

• HI! im the guy from the other thread, i have already changed the .process for .copy, but im getting this error "Command CodeSign failed with a nonzero exit code", Do you know what is it about?

Replies

I haven’t looked into this further than you did yet, but I think I also reproduced this same issue a few days ago when I was trying to find the differences between Xcode and Swift Playgrounds regarding building projects with ML models.

What I know for sure is that at least the app builds successfully, compared to doing the same thing in Xcode - more details about this are available in this thread.

• Let me know if you are able to solve this, it's an incredibly frustrating bug.

Add a Comment

I'm curious, have you tried using the coremldata.bin file as a resource? It should contain the model data. I haven't tried this and it's just a guess.

I'm still getting issues with tabular regressor ML models in Swift Playgrounds as well, just as in Xcode - that multiple commands produce coremldata.bin. I'll look into this further, perhaps with other models too (including MobileNetV2). Also, it seems that .mlmodel (uncompiled) files are simply copied to the bundle and not compiled - which I believed it used to happen last year, at least in Xcode 14.

Perhaps CoreML models are completely unsupported in Swift Playgrounds?

• I tried this a couple days ago. It still builds but when running states that model failed to load and that it is not set to .mlmodelc

Add a Comment

I believe I finally found an overall solution that works for both compiled (.mlmodelc) and uncompiled models (.mlmodel, .mlpackage), plus an explanation of why .mlmodelc files may not be correctly copied in the bundle during the build process (even though it succeeds).

I also sent a similar answer to this other thread, and included a few more details about an issue unique to Xcode and uncompiled models.

You will need to edit the Package.swift file manually. Go to the playground in Finder, control-click it and select Show Package Contents. Then, open the Package.swift file. At the bottom of this file, you'll find the following target section, which might look different for you:

targets: [
        .executableTarget(
            name: "AppModule",
            path: ".",
            resources: [
                .process("Resources") // copy resources to the app bundle without keeping folder structure
            ]
        )
    ]

The .process("Resources") line indicates that the resources (in your case, your model) must be copied without keeping the original folder structure. Say you have 2 folders inside the Resources folder, and in each of these you have a few files. Only the files inside will be copied in the bundle, and the 2 original folders won't appear.

You will need to replace (or add, if you don't have the process() function) process() with copy(), which maintains the internal folder structure (I explained below why). You can either use .copy("Resources"), which require you to change the model's bundle URL like this:

return bundle.url(forResource: "Resources/MobileNetV2", withExtension:"mlmodelc")!
    }

Or you might directly copy the model folder to the Bundle using .copy("Resources/MobileNetV2") and keep the original URL - note that this way, any other files in the Resources might not be available unless you add other process / copy functions to your Package.swift file.

For more information about process() and copy(), check the docs for bundling resources with Swift Packages (since a Swift Playground is a special type of a Swift Package).

Why compiled models are not correctly copied in the bundle using process()

Compiled ML models are essentially a folder that contains one or more coremldata.bin files (and maybe other files as well) - in fact, they appear as a folder on the filesystem (you can cd into them in Terminal). The reason why these .mlmodelc aren't correctly copied to your bundle when using .process("Resources"), or may give a build error with certain models that contain more coremldata.bin files, is that the internal folder structure is not copied, but only the files inside it. That's why you found that your bundle contained a coremldata.bin file only.

Using the previously mentioned .copy() method, you can keep the internal folder structure.

Regarding why uncompiled models cannot be built in Xcode, something similar might be happening, but these do not appear as folders on the filesystem - so this should probably not happen and perhaps it is a build issue. It also seems that .mlmodels are not compiled at runtime, which I believe used to happen in the previous Swift Playgrounds / Xcode versions from last year.

Let me know if this works!

• Lifesaver

• HI!, im the guy from the other thread jaja, now that I changed the .process function for .copy, im getting this error: Command CodeSign failed with a nonzero exit code, what could it be?

• HI! im the guy from the other thread, i have already changed the .process for .copy, but im getting this error "Command CodeSign failed with a nonzero exit code", Do you know what is it about?

@CMDdev I also am having the Codesign failed with non-zero exit code error. I tried editing with Xcode closed and than opened it, and it still doesn't work. When I try to go back to the previous version of the file it says Package resolution failed; see package resolution log for details.

Do you have any suggestions?

• Hey, I've been having exactly the same problems as what everyone had on this thread. I got the exact same error as you, Codesign failed with non-zero exit code.

I assume you might have stored your mlmodel in a folder called 'Resources.' According to a stack overflow, having a folder named "resources" in the application bundle will cause code sign to fail.

So just change the file name of Resources to something else and that should work.

Add a Comment

@NSApps Did you try Product > Clean Build Folder? Sometimes File > Packages > Reset Package Caches could also work when using packages in your app but I don't think it makes a difference here (since the package is the app).

Did you set a team in the Signing and Capabilities editor? Maybe try to select it again.