is it possible to operate `NEDNSProxyProvider` transparent mode

My macOS application utilizing NEDNSProxyProvider. i have a requirement to intercept only DNS requests of a certain query type, while others are expected to continue to their respective origin.

For TCP there are two kinds of extensions NEAppProxyProvider and NETransparentProxyProvider. The latter is capable of returning NO from handleNewFlow causing the flow to proceed to communicate directly with the flow’s ultimate destination, instead of closing the flow.

Is there a way to configure NEDNSProxyProvider to work in transparent mode for letting the flow to proceed to communicate directly?

Current NEDNSProxyProvider limitation of dropping the connection when NO is returned requies me to open new socket and proxy the requests which causes noticable performance degradation under load.

Replies

Is there a way to configure NEDNSProxyProvider to work in transparent mode for letting the flow to proceed to communicate directly?

No.

That’d make a fine enhancement request but, as things stand, you have to handle every flow you’re passed.

If you do file an ER, please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

created ER - FB13561111