My launchd scripts are not run after boot but after login

I want to start a shell script during the boot of a MacOS (14.2.1) machine. But the scripts is executed only when I log in, not directly after the system has started.

I wrote a plist definition like this:

> ls -l /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.foobar.justLog.plist
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel  397 Jan 25 21:06 /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.foobar.justLog.plist
> cat /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.foobar.justLog.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.foobar.justLog</string>
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Program</key>
        <string>/usr/local/bin/justLog.sh</string>
    </dict>
</plist>
>

The referenced shell script looks like this:

> ls -l /usr/local/bin/justLog.sh
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel  105 Jan 25 14:46 /usr/local/bin/justLog.sh
> cat /usr/local/bin/justLog.sh
#!/bin/bash
while true ;do
	echo "Started script $0 as user $(whoami) in $PWD ($(date))"
	sleep 120
done
>

Then I shutdown the mac and restarted it at 21:46:40. I waited until 21:48:00 before I logged on with my default user. I was expecting my script to be run after the machine startet. But when I check the files in /var/log/com.apple.xpc.launchd I see that there are no entries from launchd during the initial boot. It looks like launchd does nothing before the first user logs in. That's not the behaviour I would expect from a script to be run when the system boots.

> for i in 5 6 7 8 ;do echo "inspecting minute: 21:4$i"; grep "2024-01-25 21:4${i}:" /var/log/com.apple.xpc.launchd/launchd.log{.2,.1,} /var/log/* 2>/dev/null | wc -l ;done
inspecting minute: 21:45
inspecting minute: 21:46
inspecting minute: 21:47
inspecting minute: 21:48
>

Can anyone explain why my script is not executed before I log in?

Replies

I found the reason but sadly no solution. The problem was that the the mac was using FileVault to encrypt the whole disk (I wasn't aware about that). Therefore the launch daemons which definitions are persisted of course in the file system can only start once the disk gets decrypted. And this only happens when a user types in his password on the login screen.

Up to now I couldn't find a solution. If you have a FileVault encrypted disk you cannot access the disk content and therefore no daemons can start unless a user logs in the disk is decrypted.