Reference image recommendations for best image tracking performance

I am working on a sports training app for VisionOS that requires recognition of fast-moving objects. Currently, I am using ImageTrackingProvider to tag the objects I need. I have noticed that while recognition works well for stationary objects, it does not perform well in tracking moving objects. I assume there are a mix of factors at play:

1. I am not sure if ARKit is actually built for tracking moving objects, so there could be a refresh rate limit enforced to save battery.
  2. My reference image could be suboptimal/too complex to recognize quickly.

I am not sure if ARKit is actually built for tracking moving objects, so there could be a refresh rate limit enforced to save battery. My reference image could be suboptimal/too complex to recognize quickly. While I can't do anything about #1, I am curious about recommendations for #2. Are there recommendations for the best size of a reference image, its color (would black and white work better?), and its complexity? Also, since the ARKit Resource Group seems to support JPEG & PNG, is there any specific preference for one over the other? Should I prepare the images in any special way to achieve the best possible performance?

Thanks.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 780793022

Hello,

It is expected that the frequency of anchorUpdates on ImageTrackingProvider is much lower than the frequency of camera frame updates. Please file an enhancement request describing your use-case using Feedback Assistant.

Accepted Answer

Hello,

It is expected that the frequency of anchorUpdates on ImageTrackingProvider is much lower than the frequency of camera frame updates. Please file an enhancement request describing your use-case using Feedback Assistant.

Reference image recommendations for best image tracking performance

Q