Short question: much too low number of reported downloads compared to real registrations -> privacy issue?

For an app in a given timeframe, Appstore Connect reports 1.100 downloads on the first click on "Analytics".

(and also after that, I just want to emphasise that this is the "main" number shown for downloads and re-downloads combined)

Since our users have to register, we have a clear metric - we have 1.600 registrations for the same timeframe.

The short question: Where are the other 500?

To me the docs are not clear, from which point does a user have to have opted in to analytics data, can they also opt out of the main "download" metric? If yes, the answer is that, but it looks like the privacy only starts somewhere down the road, in usage statistics...

Replies

can they also opt out of the main "download" metric?

No, I don't think so.

There may be some cases where an app is installed but not downloaded, e.g. when restoring from a backup. Cases like institutional purchases and iOS apps running on macOS can also cause confusion.

Is there no way that your app can register more than once for a given download? Is there no way to reset it to a state where it will re-register?

Thanks for your input!

Yes, you could theoretically register multiple users on one device, but it would not make sense that it happened for 500 users. The app is fairly standard, the usecase is a single user on every device, no "need" to switch users.

The only irregular thing that was done is we relaunched the app and took over from another developer in this timeframe.

So for us, every user after the relaunch was a "new" registration, but since the Apple numbers are "downloads" AND "re-downloads", it should not be an issue, or maybe I misunderstand something on that end?