ARKit image detection specs & expectations on visionOS

Hi,

I have a code that uses ImageTrackingProvider. I am experimenting with glyphs of various complexity and structure to understand which ones would be more superior for recognition. Due to the absence of a color printer, I am mostly experimenting with monochrome glyphs as well as some color-paper squares. I am getting mixed results and would like to validate whether what I got are the expected results for the current capabilities of ARKit & VisionPro, or if there is still an opportunity for improvement by selecting different glyphs.

So far, I have used a colored square of size 5x5 cm, as well as two glyphs provided below.

ARKit Glyph

Abstract Glyph

The ARKit Glyph is not recognizable by ARKit or VisionPro at all, no matter the lighting conditions or the angles from which I view it.

The Abstract Glyph is recognizable consistently at a 90-degree angle, and sometimes at other angles too. The maximum distance at which I was able to detect it was around 15cm, maybe less.

I am really curious if there is any specification that I can check against to understand whether my glyphs are good or not, and at what maximum distance such glyphs can be recognized if they were 5x5cm in size.

I am also curious whether ARKit is capable of recognizing images of 5x5cm size at a distance between 2 and 3 meters, and if so, how I should prepare the glyph for such requirements.

Thanks in advance, Nikita

ps I am skipping a question about yaw angles of image, as well as angel between normal of an image & camera view but I guess they also have their impact on ability to recognize original image.

When you drag an image into an AR Resource Group in your project's asset catalog, Xcode will show an exclamation mark and additional details if the reference image is not suited well for image tracking.

ARKit image detection specs & expectations on visionOS

Q