In-App Provisioning Entitlement

Hello,

Can anybody help me with some info about the following situation?

We have an app that is published in the store and it is used by the users.

We want implement in the app the In App Provisioning flow and we are analyzing all the steps the we need to check.

One of the steps is the request for a special entitlement from apple.

Let's say that we've checked the following:

1. Request In App Provisioning entitlement
  2. Receive the entitlement
  3. Create a new provisioning profile with the received entitlement
  4. Start the development of In App Provisioning flow in the app

At some point a bug is identified in production and we need the develop a hotfix that needs to be published before finishing the In App Provisioning feature.

Wil it be possible to publish a new version of the app that doesn't contain the In App Provisioning functionality even though we have received the entitlement from apple?

Should we create a new provisioning profile without the entitlement for this new release?

Please let me know if you need more info.

Replies

Your provisioning profile acts as an entitlement allowlist. That is, it authorises your app to claim any entitlement listed in the profile. As to whether the app actually claims an entitlement, that’s a separate thing, controlled by the entitlements in your code signature. I talk about this more in TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles.

IME the system only cares about the entitlements you claim, not about the entitlements you’re allowed to claim. So, having an entitlement in your profile that you don’t claim is a no-op.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"