realitytool fails with killed-9 on any moderately complex Reality Composer Pro project

I'm trying to build a project with a moderately complex Reality Composer Pro project, but am unable to because my Mac mini (2023, 8GB RAM) keeps running out of memory.

I'm wondering if there are any known memory leaks in realitytool, but basically the tool is taking up 20-30GB (!) memory during builds.

I have a Mac Pro for content creation, which is why I didn't go for more RAM on the mini – it was supposed to just be a build machine for Apple Silicon compatibility, as my Pro is Intel.

But, I'm kinda stuck here.

I have a scene that builds fine, but any time I had a USD – in this case a tree asset – with lots of instances, or a lot of geometry, I run into the memory issue. I've tried greatly simplifying the model, but even a 2MB USD is resulting in the crash. I'm failing to see how adding a 2MB asset would cause the memory of realitytool to balloon so much during builds.

If someone from Apple is willing to look, I can provide the scene – but it's proprietary so I can't just post it publicly here.

• Hmm, well possible update on this in typical Rubber Ducky fashion. Possibly due to the fact that as I've been iterating on this particular project I've ended up with a RCP Package inside a RCP Package.

I wonder if this recursiveness results in a memory leak in realitytool? I'm building up the scene piece by piece in a new file to see if this indeed fixes the problem.

Add a Comment

Replies

Can you please log this via https://feedbackassistant.apple.com and share your project through that? Please share your feedback ID here after you log your ticket.