Describing use of required reason API - current status

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if anybody knows what the current status is about the declaration of required reasons APIs.

Before May 1, when I uploaded a new build to the App Store Connect and added it to a group with external testers, I got a notification by email like the following:

ITMS-91053: Missing API declaration - Your app’s code in the [...] file references one or more APIs that require reasons, including the following API categories: NSPrivacyAccessedAPICategoryDiskSpace. While no action is required at this time, starting May 1, 2024, when you upload a new app or app update, you must include a NSPrivacyAccessedAPITypes array in your app’s privacy manifest to provide approved reasons for these APIs used by your app’s code.

In an article published by Apple (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/privacy_manifest_files/describing_use_of_required_reason_api) it is even statet that that after May 1, apps that do not comply are not accepted by the App Store Connect. According to my interpretation, even the upload should be rejected.

I am currently in the process to add a privacy manifest and add the declarations. For testing purposes, I wanted to add the declarations step by step and see where I still need to fix anything. My problem is, that the warnings by apple are not beeing sent anymore. I have uploaded a new build after May 1 with no privacy manifest and therefore no API declarations, it was accepted by App Store Connect and even passed the review for an external testers group.

Does anybody have information about the following questions?

1. Did Apple shift the deadline?
  2. How can I trigger the warning emails again so that I know what to fix and see, when my app is compliant?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Only Apple can say what the status of their scanning is. My understanding is that submitting for review does trigger the scans. There are some interpretations of the rules that suggest that resubmitting the app with the same SDKs that were already approved for the app will not be rejected. Perhaps you experience is this rule in action.

This developer forums post suggests that apps are being rejected due to issues with privacy manifests: ITMS-91054: Invalid API category declaration

• Thanks for your reply. Do you now if there is any way to enforce the check by Apple again? I am currently applying changes to comply with the privacy manifest requirements, so that I can deploy fast when there is e.g. a bug to fix. I would love to have a feedback by Apple that everything is ok with my privacy manifest.

Add a Comment