Disable new tab bar look

Hi, I am trying out the new UITabBar stuff in iOS18, and I don't think it'll be a good fit for my app. Is there a way to revert to the old iPad UITabBar look and placement that we've been using before? I don't want to make such a big change like this just yet, but I would need to make other changes to the app as well and I don't want to use the new UITabBar just yet. Is there a way to achieve this?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 790193022

There's a new API in UITabBarController to hide the tabBar under isTabBarHidden

That's not possible as of now.

I have filed a feedback for this:

FB13840897

In my app I did adopt UISplitViewController to show a sidebar when the window is large enough or a tab bar in compact size classes. For that to work I had to do custom code to restore view hierarchies when switching size classes. Now, UITabBarController has this behavior for free, but I don’t want to adopt the new top tab bar in my app, because it breaks my layout and I just don’t like the look and feel of it. It would be great to have an option to hide the top tab bar, while keeping the sidebar visible and show the bottom tab bar when switching to compact size class.

+1 for having the ability to disable the new tab bar floating, it will give us the opportunity to adopt it overtime (in case of huge issues) as well as if it doesn't make sense for app in its current state.

There's a new API in UITabBarController to hide the tabBar under isTabBarHidden

@DTS Engineer your suggestion hides the tabbar, what I think the author would like is to make it opt in (or out) to get the old tabbar back

I fully support your idea, but Apple has always been very arrogant since the beginning.

They won't bring the old version back.

The only way is write a custom view just like the old tabbar...

I have taken the time to write a blog post about all the issues I see with this new tab/sidebar design. If you're interested feel free to take a look and file similar feedback so we can have a better system in the Fall!

https://gamery.app/blog/about-the-new-tabs/

@ps3zocker thanks for the detailed overview of the problem. I filed my own feedback (FB13902858) and referenced your blog post and feedback ids. Let's hope Apple gives us the option to opt-out of the new tab view behavior in iPadOS 18.

Disable new tab bar look

Q