New security feature prevents remote access apps from working

It seems there was a new security feature added to macOS 15 - and now it asks every time after reboot if user wishes to continue and allow access the app to record screen and audio, while capture is blocked. Which renders remote access apps useless, a specially for headless computers like my Mac mini.

Make sure to file a feedback for this and link it here.

I think it's good that this pop-up after restart exists, since one could forget that they gave access to a remote desktop app.

Maybe a setting to prevent these kind of appearing again after restart / give you an option to select for how much time you'd like to give access (such as an hour / a day / a week / indefinitely etc.) would be helpful.

This change is called out in the macOS Sequoia 15 Beta Release Notes:

Applications utilizing deprecated APIs for content capture such as CGDisplayStream & CGWindowListCreateImage can trigger system alerts indicating they may be able to collect detailed information about the user. Developers need to migrate to ScreenCaptureKit and SCContentSharingPicker. (120910350)

The biggest issue I see here is that ScreenCaptureKit is not available in the pre-login context (r. 113021168). If you’re building a screen sharing product that needs pre-login support — for example, to allow the user to log in on a ‘headless’ machine — please make sure to file a bug about that limitation.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks. I hoped you would answer ;) Just to make sure - not available for pre-login context, but lets say user is logged in, but locked the screen - should it be available then?

lets say user is logged in, but locked the screen - should it be available then?

Hmmm, that’s tricky. The ScreenCaptureKit machinery is available in GUI login sessions, so I’d expect that to work. However, the screen unlock UI applies a bunch of special case security restrictions, so you might bump into one of those.

I think you should focus on the user-level problem rather the technology. If changes to the system prevent you from building a screen sharing product, that’s definitely bugworthy.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

New security feature prevents remote access apps from working

Q