Carplay CPTabBarTemplate custom icons

Hello,

I am a product designer trying to understand the UI design limitations of CarPlay.

I am designing a scene where a CPTabBarTemplate will appear. From what I can read in the CarPlay development documentation, I understand that it should be possible to assign a custom icon for each tab with tabImage: UIImage?, if I am not mistaken.

However, any reference I have found always uses SF Symbols, which makes me wonder if they can actually be customized.

And on the other hand, if they are customizable, could any PNG be used for the tab that might compromise the driver's safety?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, each template in the tab bar can be configured with either a UITabBarSystemItem item OR both a custom tabImage and a tabTitle.

Each UITabBarSystemItem comes with both an image and a localized title. This is a good option if your tab matches one of the built-in system items.

Or, if you use a custom title and image on the tab, you can provide any image you'd like - either an SF Symbol image or a custom image. For a custom image, a mono-color icon would work best, as it will be retinted by the system when the tab is selected.

Carplay CPTabBarTemplate custom icons

Q