unable to find utility "instruments"

I am building an old app with very old dependencies on the new xcode.

Download xcode 14.2 or below looks like a solution. I am not sure if that's possible.

Building for simulators fail because of arm64. Phone is my only option. When using `react-native run-ios --device' it fails with sh -c '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -sdk /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -find instruments 2> /dev/null' failed with exit code 17664: (null) (errno=No such file or directory) xcrun: error: unable to find utility "instruments", not a developer tool or in PATH.

Here is my configuration System: OS: macOS 14.5 CPU: (8) arm64 Apple M2 Memory: 244.50 MB / 16.00 GB Shell: Unknown Binaries: Node: 16.20.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v16.20.0/bin/node Yarn: 3.6.4 - /opt/homebrew/bin/yarn npm: 8.19.4 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v16.20.0/bin/npm Watchman: 2024.05.06.00 - /opt/homebrew/bin/watchman SDKs: iOS SDK: Platforms: DriverKit 23.5, iOS 17.5, macOS 14.5, tvOS 17.5, visionOS 1.2, watchOS 10.5 IDEs: Android Studio: 2022.2 AI-222.4459.24.2221.9971841 Xcode: 15.4/15F31d - /usr/bin/xcodebuild npmPackages: react: 16.8.6 => 16.8.6 react-native: 0.60.4 => 0.60.4

More context: I am able to build for my phone through xcode but it gives me no bundle url provided. Not sure why that's the case. What plays into such error?

instruments was a command line tool that was deprecated and removed from Xcode several years ago (not to be confused with the "Instruments.app" application that still ships with Xcode). It's replacement is xctrace.

However, based on your question you aren't actually trying to use this tool, so the replacement tool is not relevant to your question.

It seems like there is some configuration in your project that relies on this old tool. Maybe there is custom build script that uses it that you can simply remove?

Try to find where in your project setup instruments is used. Consider whether that configuration is still needed and if not remove it. If you do think it's essential, I recommend looking into xctrace seeing whether you can achieve the same behavior using it instead of instruments.

unable to find utility "instruments"

Q