Hidden note in macOS 15b1 and iOS 18b1 release notes

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out why there's something tucked in the release notes for macOS 15b1 and iOS 18b1 saying:

“• Profile-based User Enrollment is no longer supported in macOS 15. For User Enrollment, sign in with a Managed Apple Account in Settings.”

If I'm reading this correctly, "UIE" or User Initiated Enrollment in Jamf parlance, will not be possible on macOS 15 and iOS18 going forward...

But, there is ZERO mention of this in the video about what's new for Management, or what's new for IT document.

I work in higher ed, and sadly, we get a lot of out of band purchases that aren't ADE eligible. And we've been told for years, and continue to be told, that Managed Apple ID's aren't appropriate for Higher Ed.

So this is a big deal if this is being removed, and I find it disturbing it's being tucked away in release notes rather than being broadcast in every location. Heck, for small shops that don't have ASM or ABM, this means no MDM (they won't have managed Apple Accounts to enroll, they won't have ADE)? I happen to use a free Jamf Now system for home managing some personal home devices... I won't be able to do this with macOS 15/iOS 18?

hi! does this mean manual device supervision using Apple Configurator will no longer be supported? Crazy if so…

No, I think after talking to someone else, this MIGHT just be referring to enrolling BYOD devices without using a Managed Apple ID. We don't support BYOD, so there's some confusion in language between "User Enrollment" vs "User Initiated Enrollment". The latter being still supported.

And no, I don't see anything indicating Apple Configurator supervision going away, or Apple Configurator enrolling into ADE.

Staze, you are exactly right. Profile based device enrollment is still supported. For user enrollment, Account Driven User Enrollment (with Managed Apple Account) must be used.

Profile-driven User Enrollment was deprecated last year, and support for it has been removed in this year's developer seeds of Apple OSes. Devices that were already enrolled will continue to work, but it is not be possible to initiate new profile-driven User Enrollments in those OSes.

To be clear, account-driven User Enrollment, profile-driven device enrollment, account-driven device enrollment, and all other MDM enrollment types are unaffected and continue to be supported.

Hidden note in macOS 15b1 and iOS 18b1 release notes

Q