Can FSEvents include Snapshots of the Changed Files?

Hi folks! I'm David Barsky and I work on rust-analyzer, which is the IDE for the Rust programming language. For a while, we've had issues with VS Code not sending the correct changed files to the language server (such as changing commits or rebasing), so I started using rust-analyzer's native, off-by-default file watching functionality that binds to FSEvent via the notify library. This has helped a bunch, but I'm not sure how completely reliable it is. Before I consider changing the default file watching behavior for our (many!) users, I wanted to check: is it possible to combine "walk & watch" into a single, atomic operation?

My goal is that upon getting a notification for a file change event, rust-analyzer can read the changed file and not worry about TOCTOU-esque conditions (rust-analyzer has a pretty robust incremental computation system, so we're able to invalidate changes pretty reliably).

That being said, based off:

...it seems like the answer appears to be "no".

(I'm also familiar with Watchman, but it'd be great if the big pile of heuristics that Watchman uses were less necessary.)

Answered by DTS Engineer in 791817022

Hi folks! I'm David Barsky and I work on rust-analyzer, which is the IDE for the Rust programming language. For a while, we've had issues with VS Code not sending the correct changed files to the language server (such as changing commits or rebasing), so I started using rust-analyzer's native, off-by-default file watching functionality that binds to FSEvent via the notify library. This has helped a bunch, but I'm not sure how completely reliable it is.

I think the place to start here is with what FSEvents is actually "for". Basically, it was designed so that things like backup, search, sync, etc. could quickly determine that "something has changed" without dealing with the "pain" of actively monitoring, running a daemon, etc.

However, one thing to understand about that design is that it's specifically NOT trying to notify of changes "as soon as they happen". That's pretty clear in the API design- for example, see the latency argument in FSEventStreamCreate:

"The number of seconds the service should wait after hearing about an event from the kernel before passing it along to the client via its callback. Specifying a larger value may result in more effective temporal coalescing, resulting in fewer callbacks and greater overall efficiency."

In other words, "please tell me about changes later so that I don't get as many notifications". The thing to understand here is that this behavior is basically designed as the deliberate alternative to more "realtime" monitoring methods like kqueue or DispatchSource.FileSystemEvent.

Keep in mind that in many cases these APIs are actually best used to complement each other, not as direct replacements. For example, an app might use FSEvents to determine that a large hierarchy "has changed" while there app was not running, then rely on kqueue or Dispatch for realtime monitoring while they are running.

Another key point underneath all of these APIs- their role it to tell you that something HAS changed, not reassure you that it HASN'T. By their nature, file system's are full of race conditions. Much of the way apps interact with the file system is driven by "practically true", not "ACTUALLY true". Simple questions like "does this file exist" can't ACTUALLY be answered in a reliable way- a file can easily be created or destroyed in the time it takes for your question to reach the file system and then return. In practice what prevents these issue from becoming hugely problematic is simply that user/app activity tends to constrain what actually changes from moment to moment and/or what the user consequences of those changes actually are.

However, I think it's important to understand the limits of what you're actually being told. All of these APIs are telling you about what's already happened, NOT about how things stand "now".

Before I consider changing the default file watching behavior for our (many!) users, I wanted to check: is it possible to combine "walk & watch" into a single, atomic operation?

That is a great question that I'm not (quite) ready to answer yet, but I wanted to reply with what I already had. I'll have more to say about this in the next day or two.

__
Kevin Elliott
DTS Engineer, CoreOS/Hardware

Hi folks! I'm David Barsky and I work on rust-analyzer, which is the IDE for the Rust programming language. For a while, we've had issues with VS Code not sending the correct changed files to the language server (such as changing commits or rebasing), so I started using rust-analyzer's native, off-by-default file watching functionality that binds to FSEvent via the notify library. This has helped a bunch, but I'm not sure how completely reliable it is.

I think the place to start here is with what FSEvents is actually "for". Basically, it was designed so that things like backup, search, sync, etc. could quickly determine that "something has changed" without dealing with the "pain" of actively monitoring, running a daemon, etc.

However, one thing to understand about that design is that it's specifically NOT trying to notify of changes "as soon as they happen". That's pretty clear in the API design- for example, see the latency argument in FSEventStreamCreate:

"The number of seconds the service should wait after hearing about an event from the kernel before passing it along to the client via its callback. Specifying a larger value may result in more effective temporal coalescing, resulting in fewer callbacks and greater overall efficiency."

In other words, "please tell me about changes later so that I don't get as many notifications". The thing to understand here is that this behavior is basically designed as the deliberate alternative to more "realtime" monitoring methods like kqueue or DispatchSource.FileSystemEvent.

Keep in mind that in many cases these APIs are actually best used to complement each other, not as direct replacements. For example, an app might use FSEvents to determine that a large hierarchy "has changed" while there app was not running, then rely on kqueue or Dispatch for realtime monitoring while they are running.

Another key point underneath all of these APIs- their role it to tell you that something HAS changed, not reassure you that it HASN'T. By their nature, file system's are full of race conditions. Much of the way apps interact with the file system is driven by "practically true", not "ACTUALLY true". Simple questions like "does this file exist" can't ACTUALLY be answered in a reliable way- a file can easily be created or destroyed in the time it takes for your question to reach the file system and then return. In practice what prevents these issue from becoming hugely problematic is simply that user/app activity tends to constrain what actually changes from moment to moment and/or what the user consequences of those changes actually are.

However, I think it's important to understand the limits of what you're actually being told. All of these APIs are telling you about what's already happened, NOT about how things stand "now".

Before I consider changing the default file watching behavior for our (many!) users, I wanted to check: is it possible to combine "walk & watch" into a single, atomic operation?

That is a great question that I'm not (quite) ready to answer yet, but I wanted to reply with what I already had. I'll have more to say about this in the next day or two.

__
Kevin Elliott

Kevin: thank you so much for the extremely detailed response about the different APIs available!

Interesting, gotcha! Here's a related question: since rust-analyzer is only interested in file change events while the IDE is running (we take deliberate steps to avoid any external, serializable state for a bunch of reasons that I'll elide for now, but I can get into later!), does it still make sense sense to do the layering you describe, or can we reasonably rely on the real-time approaches?

For context, I'd group the two types of file events we get as "human-driven" (where a user might create a new file or whatever) or "machine-driven" (where the user switched branches or is rebasing, so we'd see a lot file change events in quick succession). We ran into the most issues with the latter, most commonly in the form of stale diagnostics when fed file change events by VS Code.

Thanks again!

I also realized that I didn't clarify the current state particularly well: by switching to using FSEvents via the Notify Rust library, rust-analyzer's reliability during rebases went from "guaranteed to be broken" to "basically works every time". I'm mostly asking if the last few percentage points of reliability are possible/if any potential footguns that we'd inadvertently introduce to macOS users by relying on that directly (e.g., would there be any gotchas with this approach on an NFS-based file system like Eden? are there any potential negative interactions with FSKit-based virtual file systems?)

Interesting, gotcha! Here's a related question: since rust-analyzer is only interested in file change events while the IDE is running (we take deliberate steps to avoid any external, serializable state for a bunch of reasons that I'll elide for now, but I can get into later!), does it still make sense sense to do the layering you describe, or can we reasonably rely on the real-time approaches?

Simplifying greatly, the different APIs are effectively layered on top of each other. Side note on this, the FSEvents Programming Guide is still worth a read and it's last section is basically "Should you use FSEvent or kqueue?".

does it still make sense sense to do the layering you describe, or can we reasonably rely on the real-time approaches?

So, conceptually at least, you can basically think of FSEvents working by:

a) At the API level, change the monitoring target so that the client isn't having to open monitor targets.

b) Get events from kqueue but delay delivery so that the client isn't bothered by noise they don't really care about.

c) Layer a "tracking" system on top of that so that the client can save some time "catching up" on things when they next run.

The issue with monitoring targets ("a") is the biggest difference between FSEvents and kqueue. Unlike FSEvents, kqueue can actually monitor for individual file changes as well a directory changes, but doing so requires opening every file you want to monitor. That obviously becomes pretty cumbersome when dealing with large file counts. FYI, a few years ago I wrote the "DirectoryWatcher" that was included in the "DocInteraction" sample. The sample is an iOS sample (that's why it used kqueue), but the class should work perfectly fine on macOS.

In terms of which is better for "you" my guess is that it's probably FSEvents, simply because of the overall file count, but there may be cases/arguments for kqueue.

I did have one other thought I wanted to mention here:

I also realized that I didn't clarify the current state particularly well: by switching to using FSEvents via the Notify Rust library, rust-analyzer's reliability during rebases went from "guaranteed to be broken" to "basically works every time".

How closely did you look at what EXACTLY was going wrong here and why? I don't really know anything about the mechanism you were using earlier ("VS Code"?), but I have a suspicion that the issue here might actually have been that you were getting notified to "early", not to "late"? Particularly if you're dealing with a larger set of file systems which may have "wider" set of behaviors, you may be ending up in a situation where you've end up trying to retrieve data before the data was actually fully committed.

Following up on my earlier tease here:

If you're running on APFS, file cloning can be useful for this sort of thing. The idea here is instead of scanning the "live" hierarchy (which can change while you're scanning), you capture the hierarchy at a fixed state, scan THAT state, then delete that state once you're done.

Now, clonefile does come with significant warning. From the beginning of it's manpage:

LIMITATIONS Cloning directories with these functions is strongly discouraged. Use copyfile(3) to clone directories instead.

The background here is because the clone operation is atomic, cloning a directory can basically "pause" ALL other file system activity while the clone is created. This doesn't really matter if the total file count is small, but as the file count grows it can become EXTREMELY disruptive. Basically, don't clone directory hierarchies unless you already "know" the count to be small.

The other alternative here is to simply clone the hierarchy yourself by cloning every file individually. That doesn't give you a truly atomic duplicate, but file cloning is EXTREMELY fast, even with high file counts. If you're scanning process is time consuming*, then scanning a "semi-atomic" copy is still better than scanning the live data.

*Architecturally, this is exactly why/how backup utilities use snapshots- snapshot the whole volume and then you can scan the snapshot "at your liesure" without worrying about how on going changes muddle up your backup state.

__
Kevin Elliott

Can FSEvents include Snapshots of the Changed Files?

Q