Apps of the same family being blocked inadvertently

My app allows users to select apps and websites to block using the Screen Time API. Lately I have gotten a bunch of emails from users who say that selecting one app also results in other apps of that family being blocked, even if they aren't selected in the FamilyActivityPicker.

The most common example is Facebook. A handful of users have said that they selected Facebook to be blocked, but Messenger will be blocked as well (even though Messenger isn't selected, and they don't want it to be blocked).

Does anyone know why this might be happening? It seemed to begin happening awhile ago after allowing users to block websites in addition to apps - not sure if that could have something to do with it.

Hello ! Yay we noticed a similar behaviour, and added it to our FAQs. I invite you to open an Apple bug report if you can, to increase chances this issue could be fixed !

We opened one in .... november 2022 🫣 (FB11799302) you can reference it in your bug report.

Regards !

Same: FB11988641 (will tag this post and FB11799302 too)

Our engineering teams need to investigate this issue, as resolution may involve changes to Apple's software. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could open a bug report, include a sysdiagnose and test project, and post the FB number here once you do.

Bug Reporting: How and Why? has tips on creating your bug report.

Apps of the same family being blocked inadvertently

Q